help fixing keyless entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Stag1928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you put a jumper wire on the #4 and #8 pins on the OBD2 connector right?

So I just checked the housing on the OBD2 port again and there is no metal contact inside the 8 pin, only 2,4,5,15, and 16. Im assuming that could be an issue. Also, will any piece of copper wire serve as a jumper between the two contacts? I also just got back from pep boys and the battery tester they have there for the key fobs picked up mine so it has to be something in the vehicle.

Last edited:

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just checked the housing on the OBD2 port again and there is no metal contact inside the 8 pin, only 2,4,5,15, and 16. Im assuming that could be an issue. Also, will any piece of copper wire serve as a jumper between the two contacts? I also just got back from pep boys and the battery tester they have there for the key fobs picked up mine so it has to be something in the vehicle.

Is your vehicle a Denali/Luxury edition? If so, the procedure to reprogram the xmitter is a bit different...

OP
OP
S

Stag1928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No Its just an SLT. I did see the Denali requires a jumper cable and a couple other things. Would I find the wiring for this bunched up behind the stereo?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

zomeizter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No jumper for Denali, if the pin you need to jumper is nonexistent, the procedure calls out a fuse pulled and a few cycles of the ignition switch, your owner manual has the procedure.

BuckyKattNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just don't get it because the whole thing stopped working with the original equipment and the receiver behind the dash is off ebay but it was pulled working, and the fob is from an 03 sierra but its been in a drawer for 8 years and all of the numbers for the new equipment are the same as what was in there originally. I guess I'll take it to a dealer and see if they can even program it because I'm lost..

Is the new receiver from a 2003 Sierra?

The 2000 Denali from the factory uses a receiver ABO1502R and a fob ABO1502T. You can check this number on the fob as the FCC ID.

A 2003 Sierra appears to use either a fob with a FCC ID of LHJ011 or MYT3X6898B. Unless you have a receiver from a 2003 Sierra, its not going to work. GM has dozens of fobs that use different key lengths and radio frequencies... they are not compatible if the FCC ID does not match.

If you do have the correct fob/receiver, I will add the the LHJ011 is likely programmable at home... the MYT3X6898B likely needs to be done by a dealership. You can definitely program the ABO1502T at home... but you need to get another fob. Do a search on eBay for the user cash4remotes... I just recently bought 2 used ABO1502T's from him for $9.95 each, and he provided a battery and a new case. Needless to say, I was able to easily program these to my '97 Tahoe and '98 Sunfire.

Good luck.

BKNJ

OP
OP
S

Stag1928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The numbers on the back of the fob casing match the original 2000 and the 2003 sierra. I will go to the dealership one of these days and see what they can do because I've only got the one and if they can, it's worth the $50. Thanks for the reply.

BuckyKattNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The numbers on the back of the fob casing match the original 2000 and the 2003 sierra. I will go to the dealership one of these days and see what they can do because I've only got the one and if they can, it's worth the $50. Thanks for the reply.

Can you post those numbers? GM part numbers will help, but FCC ID is really the key to interoperability.

The problem is that in the original fobs from a 2000 Yukon Denali and a 2003 Sierra will NOT be the same. Of course, its possible that somewhere in the past, someone swapped around hardware... but that may be the root of your programming problem, as well... Also confusing this is that its my understanding that your 2000 Yukon Denali is a GMT400 ('92-'99) body.

The GMT400 trucks should all be programmable by the pin 4 to pin 8 jumper method. If you have a 2003-era keyless receiver in a 2000 truck, it may be unprogrammable unless you put the receiver back in a 2003 truck. But I speculate...

In any case, the Original FOBs for '96-'99 (and 2000s using the older body) should be ABO1502T and GMT800 2000-2002 trucks tend to use KOBUT1BT fobs... and the 2003-2006/7 trucks use the LHT011T fobs.

If you can dig out the keyless receiver from under the dash, check the FCC ID will tell you exactly what fob you can use. Ensuring you have a matched set is going to be exactly what the dealer needs to do, as they are likely to do the same programming procedure and determine its broken.

OP
OP
S

Stag1928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The truck is actually an SLT, and the original fob was KOBUTIBT and that is what is on the fob from the '03 sierra. And as for receiver, the original one taken out is KOBUT1XR and the part number is 15732806, and that part number is the same as the one I put in (bought it on eBay from someone parting out a Tahoe) so I would assume it would work

BuckyKattNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The truck is actually an SLT, and the original fob was KOBUTIBT and that is what is on the fob from the '03 sierra. And as for receiver, the original one taken out is KOBUT1XR and the part number is 15732806, and that part number is the same as the one I put in (bought it on eBay from someone parting out a Tahoe) so I would assume it would work

Ah... then you have a 2000-2006 GMT800... you actually posted in the wrong area... obviously, there are people who visit both, but you may have gotten a better response posting in the 2000-2006 area. I was confused by your posting because some 2000 trucks are holdovers from the earlier 1992-1999 era.

This is why you are missing pin 8... the only way to program the fob is through the unlock hold ignition on-off-on-off unlock release method... to which the truck responded right. And as you mentioned earlier, the fob tested in Pep Boys (I didn't know they had that ability)... so either the 1. receiver is still not working, 2. the fob programming is being done wrong or 3. the fob and receiver are mismatched.

I don't actually know how to test #1... I suppose one could test to make sure voltage is present at all times.

It sounds like you are doing #2 right... only thing not mentioned here is that you may need to hold the lock and unlock on the fob for a while sometimes... my '99 Bonneville has KOBUT1BT fobs and programming it required me to hold the buttons down a lot longer than when I programmed the older ABO1502T fobs on the '98 Sunfire and '97 Tahoe. I would make sure I held those buttons down for a minute, if need be.

#3, It sounds like you have the right fob for the receiver... but I still question the fob is from a '03 Sierra, as GM used a similar remote KOBLEAR1XT from mid-2001 to 2002 (and later on other truck lines)... which is sometimes compatible and sometimes not. Also, a Sierra fob would not be a perfect replacement as it would use a 3 button remote, not a 4 button remote. In any case, since KOBUT1XR/15732806 is picky, you seem to have only 4 button GM part number fobs that will work... 15042968 and 15043458.
I'd double check those part numbers on the fobs.

Exhausting those points, I'm pretty much at the end of my fob'ing knowledge.

What made you replace your RKE module? Did you ever try swapping the old one back in?

BKNJ

OP
OP
S

Stag1928

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced the module because the keyless entry just stopped working. I tried programming the '03 fob to the original receiver with no luck, and then replaced the receiver assuming that was shot. At this point though, either I'm doing something wrong or the unit isn't receiving power in the truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz