Help! 2009 Yukon Denali Replacement of DVD mechanism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ashleyw2030

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Yukon Denali with the Navigation unit. My son threw a toy and busted the screen so I ordered a used unit off of ebay. I swapped it out and had it programmed at the dealership only to find that the DVD player doesn't work in the new one. It says Disc Read Error for every DVD I put in. I tried using a disc head cleaner but that didn't help. I'm going on Vacation this week and really need my DVD player for the 14 hour drive. I'm wanting to swap the DVD mechanism from my old unit into the new one, but I can't figure out how to get the DVD mechanism out. Has anyone taken one of these apart before? I can't find any youtube videos on this either. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck, i never seen someone take one apart. Plan B, if you have the dual zone, you have a screen in rear with some RCA's that you can plug an external dvd player on.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possible to swap the screen from the old one to the new one? I did this on my wifes old G6.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember on these older models, the screen pops up to reveal the slot to load the navigation disc. If that is all that is wrong, try just swapping that out. If you got one of the newer ones with a hard drive, they have no need for that feature.

Never taken one apart, not yet anyway.

Debonair

Reaction score
I'm the kind of person that would just start taking them apart to see how easy it is to combine the good screen and good DVD unit. They are both only 50% functional anyway. If you are not, I suggest finding a radio repair guy. They are not super common but are still around.

OP
OP
A

ashleyw2030

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Possible to swap the screen from the old one to the new one? I did this on my wifes old G6.

I thought of that, but I'd have to have the old one programmed back to the truck again. If time wasn't an issue, that would be fine. I'm just trying to get it done by Wednesday. Thanks!

OP
OP
A

ashleyw2030

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Remember on these older models, the screen pops up to reveal the slot to load the navigation disc. If that is all that is wrong, try just swapping that out. If you got one of the newer ones with a hard drive, they have no need for that feature.

Never taken one apart, not yet anyway.

The screen does not pop up on mine.

OP
OP
A

ashleyw2030

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm the kind of person that would just start taking them apart to see how easy it is to combine the good screen and good DVD unit. They are both only 50% functional anyway. If you are not, I suggest finding a radio repair guy. They are not super common but are still around.

It's already mostly apart, I'm just not able to get to the DVD mechanism all the way. I'm not sure if there's a trick to it or not. All visible screws have been removed, but the face won't pop off. It's still attached somehow. I don't want to break it but I might have to resort to that to see how it goes together and hope that once I get it out I can do the other without breaking it.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought of that, but I'd have to have the old one programmed back to the truck again. If time wasn't an issue, that would be fine. I'm just trying to get it done by Wednesday. Thanks!
I thought the radio was programmed to the truck not the other way around?