Hello from Louisiana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ScottMH

ScottMH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed the Speed Engineering headers and catless y pipe, and I'm not happy with them at all. Put them in my 03 Hoe. On their site they state fits 2 and 4wd. Had to remove my front prop shaft because driver side header and y pipe wouldn't fit. I now have a non working 4wd. Just giving a heads up, your experience may differ. Imo if you can go with something different, do it. :2cents:
Other than the issue with the font shaft did you have any issues? Mines 2wd so I wouldn't have that to contend with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Other than the issue with the font shaft did you have any issues? Mines 2wd so I wouldn't have that to contend with.

I didn't do the work personally, but they told me the y pipe didn't really fit either. Didn't line up with the rest of the factory exhaust. They had to cut the end off, turn it around, and I think add a small extension to it.

OP
OP
ScottMH

ScottMH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't do the work personally, but they told me the y pipe didn't really fit either. Didn't line up with the rest of the factory exhaust. They had to cut the end off, turn it around, and I think add a small extension to it.
Sounds like zero fun to me. I'll be doing all my own work. Now I just need to decide if saving a few bucks is worth the extra work

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Sounds like zero fun to me. I'll be doing all my own work. Now I just need to decide if saving a few bucks is worth the extra work

Hopefully other guys who bought the setup will also respond. Speed Engineering made it seem like I was the only one who ever had a problem.

OP
OP
ScottMH

ScottMH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully other guys who bought the setup will also respond. Speed Engineering made it seem like I was the only one who ever had a problem.
I've heard that song and dance many times. 100 people on the internet have the same problem yet I'm the only one to call about it? Yeah ok haha.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If they bolt right up for you, that's great and you save $***. If not, I'll probably take 'em off your hands cuz I don't mind a little cutting/welding if it saves me $***. Looking at Tony's fitment issues, I wouldn't have had any problems doing some nipping and tucking to make it work.

OP
OP
ScottMH

ScottMH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If they bolt right up for you, that's great and you save $***. If not, I'll probably take 'em off your hands cuz I don't mind a little cutting/welding if it saves me $***. Looking at Tony's fitment issues, I wouldn't have had any problems doing some nipping and tucking to make it work.
I don't mind the work, I've installed tons of headers. I am going to stay cheap. I did ask Texas speed about their headers being the same as speed engineering. Of course they said no but I didn't expect a different answer. I've got a healthy list of maintenance and repairs to do currently to the Tahoe so the fun stuff will wait. I do need sway bar end links so I am looking into getting Hellwigs front sway bar. I'm also getting my parts list together to do the AUX trans cooler. Thinking of adding a inline spin on oil filter for the trans also. A buddy of mine thinks I should add the AUX cooler before the stock cooler, that way the stock cooler can still warm the fluid when cold. Everything I've researched says to put it after the stock cooler. Looking for input on that if anyone has any.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting it before almost defeats the purpose. You cool it down then heat it right back up to the same temp as the coolant? How is that any different than just cooling it down to the same temp as the coolant when running it through the stock in-rad trans cooler? You warm the trans fluid during cold weather by passing it through the engine coolant while idling to warm up a cold motor. The cooler after the rad cools it below the temp of the engine coolant, but only when driving. By then, the trans fluid is at least warmed some. Although this really isn't much of a problem at all in LA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645