Hello from Louisiana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottMH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Scott and I am from Louisiana. I just bought a 2007 Tahoe LT with 92,*** miles on it. Its in good shape and my favorite color, Bermuda Blue Metallic. I looked for a long time for a Tahoe with this color in decent shape and less than 120,000 miles.

It has a couple of the normal Tahoe issues cracked dash and peeling paint on the passenger door handle. Researching the dash is what brought me to this site. I was reading a thread about replacing the dash, I'll probably go this route and replace the radio at the same time.

I know they sell "skins" but I haven't seen one that looks right to me. Are the new OEM dashes made of updated material? If not has anyone tried putting something like Dynamat to the backside of the dash to give it a little bit more rigidity? Maybe even spraying a thin coat of bedliner? I can't leave anything alone so I plan on modding it here and there.

My current plan is to:
Full inspection of suspension, brakes and steering. Replace as necessary. I do have a sound coming from the rear, almost a "boop" sound when hitting bumps. Dealer told me is was the exhaust but I seriously doubt that.

Change all the fluids and inspect the drivetrain. I'll also pull the plugs and see what they look like. Change the transmission filter and exchange the oil. I am also considering adding a secondary trans cooler because it will be used to tow a car trailer from time to time. I am looking for opinions on this and pictures of what others have done.

Disable the AFM, I have HPTuners and I will turn this feature off.

Replace cracked dash with new OEM dash and modify in some way to last. While replacing dash install a double din GPS aftermarket radio and backup camera system. Currently have Bose system without GPS and no back-up camera. Really looking hard at the Kenwood DNX-693S. While doing this I will replace the lift gate glass release button on the liftgate. Mine is missing the button.

I want to install Hellwigs rear Air bag system because I will be towing with it. My dad has a similar system on his 2012 Ram 1500 and its really nice that it automatically levels the truck out. I am also looking at Hellwigs front and rear sway bars. I might lower the Tahoe 2" all around while doing this. I have not decided on this yet.

Maganflow cat back exhaust, because noise ;)

K&N Intake system, because noise ;)

Headers with catless Y pipe. Right now I am leaning towards the Texas-Speed header system, looks like they are the best bang for the buck. I am open to opinions and other options. I know Kooks are amazing but I do not want to spend $1200 on headers.

Full tune using a wideband and HPTuners

Much later down the road, camshaft/valvetrain and Re-tune

At this point I'll start looking for a 4L80E and getting it ready for when the 4L60e decides to let go. Ill also source a extra motor, maybe something larger like a 6.2L who knows.

I am sure there will be a 100 repairs between the beginning of this list and the end, but that is part of the fun!

Anyway here is a picture of the Tahoe as it sits.
tahoe.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Scott..Great looking Tahoe!! Nice find..Awesome color..Glad your Tahoe [and you] survived those nasty storms that came thru your area recently.

Looking forward to all those really nice things you are going to do with your 07 Tahoe..Would not mind a 6.2L in mine but I can live the 5.3.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get outta here, coonass!

J/K. Welcome to the cult! Where in LA are you?

That's a good looking ride. I've always admired that color partly just because it's not so common. Your plans are similar to mine. I'd suggest a simple MIT instead of the K&N kit and I second a 2" drop :thumbsup: I think the Texas Speed headers are the same as (if not re-labeled) Speed Engineering headers. They're $380 with a Y-pipe and GM MLS gaskets. An aux trans cooler would be great and necessary if you're gonna tow. I'd run it inline and downstream of the factory one in the radiator. I installed one on my S10 at around 25K-30K miles just because I knew I was gonna beat on it throughout it's life. I never regretted it.

My plans for fixing the cracked dash are to remove the shell and epoxy it from the back side with aluminum rod or angle added for reinforcement, then wrap it in ebony "pleather" that matches the original leather grain design. I'm pretty confident that with a little heat and planning ahead, the vinyl can be conformed to the compound curves. I successfully worked some vinyl over compound curves when replacing a headliner in an XJ because of the roof-mounted speaker pods. I don't think the Tahoe's dash has curves as complex or as tight as that.

I'm betting I have the same rear sound as yours. I was gonna address it when I lower it. During my recent tire rotation, I put a prybar to the arms and I didn't see excessive play. I'm wondering if it's just worn shocks? I guess it wouldn't be much to unbolt the bottoms of the shocks and go hit a bump. I'd just have to pull out of my shop cuz it does it on the drop-down past the opening.

Curious- how much is an HPT license? :deal:

OP
OP
ScottMH

ScottMH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys. Luckily the storms were all northeast of here. I'm in Houma so definitely a ****-ass haha.
Ima give speed engineering a look if I can save a few bucks for the same product.
I thought about wrapping the dash but I'm not sure I want to dedicate that much effort to it haha.
Didn't think about the catch can I'll look into this.
HPTuners is expensive and has a steep learning curve. I'm still learning. Let's just saying buying HPTuners is the cheap part. Basically you buy the kit $650 it comes with 8 "credits" most cars are two credits to modify the tune. After you use up the 8 credits it's $50 per credit so basically $100 to modify a tune. There are cars that cost more than two credits. I think I saw vipers are 20 credits. The credits are locked to the ecu so if you change the ecu you have to use more credits. But it's a one time deal for that ecu. You can modify the tune on that ecu as many times as you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome. I've only seen a handful of that color you have. Very unique. Can't wait to see the mods start!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I installed the Speed Engineering headers and catless y pipe, and I'm not happy with them at all. Put them in my 03 Hoe. On their site they state fits 2 and 4wd. Had to remove my front prop shaft because driver side header and y pipe wouldn't fit. I now have a non working 4wd. Just giving a heads up, your experience may differ. Imo if you can go with something different, do it. :2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645