Hello From Charlotte, NC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srs5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! My name is Steve and I live just outside of Charlotte, NC. I have an ’02 Tahoe that I drove off the lot in Oct, 2001. During this time, I also owned a ’67 Chevelle. The Chevelle was taking up residence in the garage until February 2016 when, after 15 years of owning it, I got an offer I couldn’t pass up. The point of bringing this up is because with the Chevelle out of the garage, I now had a place to work on my beloved Tahoe.

When the water pump died in Feb of ‘16, I started tinkering under the hood. Got down to the water pump and decided, “I should really do the timing chain”. Then I thought, “I could do a cam swap, too.” … And the rest of the valve train. Then I realized I had to pull the heads to swap out the lifters. With the intake and heads off, I couldn’t believe how bad everything looked. I decided to pull the engine, tear it down to the bare block, and rebuild it with some go fast parts.

I took video of just about every step of the process so I would remember how to put it all together. Since then, I compiled all the video content and have it available if anyone is interested in it.

When the long block came back from the machine shop, I rebuilt the rest of the engine (videoing every step of the way), dropped it in, added a catch can system, aftermarket oil cooler, trans cooler, and dual core radiator with electric fans, long tube headers and ORY pipe, springs & shocks, and some other stuff. I just finished it, and it still needs a tune, but I was very pleased when I fired up the engine.

Then I realized how outdated the inside of the truck was and I started upgrading the inside. Pod Gauges, LED’s, Double Din head unit and bezel swap, sub, and new amp. Every step captured on video to share if you guys are interested. Then the tranny died, so I yanked it and had it rebuilt.

It looks like my taste in aftermarket stuff is a bit different than the majority on this site. My truck is less “clean” and more “off road utility”, I’m not into huge wheels and 50,000 watt stereo systems, and I probably won’t ever raise or lower my ride, but like the rest of you, I LOVE my truck!

I’m here because you guys have helped me through some tough spots on my build and I appreciate it. Now that I have hundreds of hours of video, I would love to try to help others. If anything, I can share my mistakes and teach others what NOT to do. I’m still trying to figure out forum etiquette, most guys on here are way more knowledgeable then I am, so I will try to provide value where I can.

IMG_1257.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome. You should post some pics so we can enjoy /appreciate all of your effort and hard work. We have a mixed bunch here, some like it high, some like it low, some like it loud, some don't, and then there's some who are in the middle. Some might not like certain things done, but for the most part, everyone appreciates the effort done. We're all gear heads, experienced and novice. We're all united in our love of our rides. Post away. :D

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Steve! I love your 02 Tahoe!!

OP
OP
srs5150

srs5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome. You should post some pics so we can enjoy /appreciate all of your effort and hard work. We have a mixed bunch here, some like it high, some like it low, some like it loud, some don't, and then there's some who are in the middle. Some might not like certain things done, but for the most part, everyone appreciates the effort done. We're all gear heads, experienced and novice. We're all united in our love of our rides. Post away. :D

Thanks so much. Here a few pics of my favorite mods so far.

My favorite mod, of course, is the powerplant. Comp cam, lifters, rods, rockers, and springs; Mahle pistons bored 30 over, **** conn rods, ported stock heads, reground stock crank

IMG_8057.JPG

Long Tube headers and ORY pipe from Speed Engineering

header-install.00_02_00_18.Still005.jpg

Comp 1.72 Roller Rockers and Holley Tall Valve covers with relocated coil packs

tall-holleys.00_00_24_20.Still004.jpg tall-holleys.00_09_16_07.Still001.jpg

Blue LEDs for the stock gauge cluster, SS backing, and GlowShift gauge A piller pod

IMG_0288.JPG

There are SO MANY MORE but looks like only 5 pics per post, so I'll take that as a hint. Sorry if I'm going overboard, it's just that most of my buddies could care less about cars/engines. I'm glad to be amongst others that share my passion!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks so much. Here a few pics of my favorite mods so far.

My favorite mod, of course, is the powerplant. Comp cam, lifters, rods, rockers, and springs; Mahle pistons bored 30 over, **** conn rods, ported stock heads, reground stock crank

View attachment 76472

Long Tube headers and ORY pipe from Speed Engineering

View attachment 76471

Comp 1.72 Roller Rockers and Holley Tall Valve covers with relocated coil packs

View attachment 76473 View attachment 76474

Blue LEDs for the stock gauge cluster, SS backing, and GlowShift gauge A piller pod

View attachment 76475

There are SO MANY MORE but looks like only 5 pics per post, so I'll take that as a hint. Sorry if I'm going overboard, it's just that most of my buddies could care less about cars/engines. I'm glad to be amongst others that share my passion!
Is your ride a 4wd? I also have the Speed Engineering long tubes with offroad pipe, and I it was right on/against my front prop shaft. Had to take the shaft out to even run it. Now I don't have 4wd anymore. IMAG1476.jpg IMAG1462.jpg

OP
OP
srs5150

srs5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is your ride a 4wd? I also have the Speed Engineering long tubes with offroad pipe, and I it was right on/against my front prop shaft. Had to take the shaft out to even run it. Now I don't have 4wd anymore. View attachment 76478 View attachment 76479

Yes, mine is a 4wd. Are you running 1 3/4 or 1 7/8? Mine are 1 3/4 and here is the clearance:
header-install.00_12_34_27.Still004.jpg Check it out in "full view" to really see how close it is!

Mine just barely clears. I can see where if you are trying to run 1 7/8 it would be touching.