Had my lift installed, have a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
The sway is bad on all those years but get the longer JK rear links and I think Moog sells one for the front about 1/2" longer but not advertised that way. I think you could get away will all thread for the front links anyhow. Your alignment can bind up the front suspension so check it after alignment. Should be able to get 38.5-39 out of the front.

OP
OP
Mudfrog

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the new tires it's sitting at 39" in the front and 40" in the rear. Monday they are going to install the "correct" tires as they didn't pay a bit of attention to what I told them I wanted. The 285 75 16's clear fine in the front, no trimming needed. When they install 285 70 17's on my 17x9's I imagine I'll have to trim the front valance. Overall though, I couldn't be happier with the 39" / 40" height.

19788894481_3f391be664_b.jpg

This is the wheel I chose to run.

19584915146_61b7900822_b.jpg

MRS.Z-56_Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get the Jeep JK sway bar links! We did, and I got a new adjustable Panhard bar.

OP
OP
Mudfrog

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the longer JK links over the weekend. It did help with the rear. Now to figure out the wandering steering. I have to constantly correct it when driving straight.

rebl68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
my suburban wandered a bit before leveling - and then even more so after (plus 285's)

I attributed some to the wider contact patch wanting to follow the road more. i did tighten up the steering box adjustment a little bit, which seemed to help, and I bet it could be done a bit more to really tighten it up.

OP
OP
Mudfrog

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my suburban wandered a bit before leveling - and then even more so after (plus 285's)

I attributed some to the wider contact patch wanting to follow the road more. i did tighten up the steering box adjustment a little bit, which seemed to help, and I bet it could be done a bit more to really tighten it up.

I didn't notice any wandering prior to the lift and tires. I'm sure the wider tire does contribute some, but it feels like there is a decently sized dead spot in the steering. I had already tightened the box a little, but I don't want to go to far, and I'm sure it's not the best solution. I'm thinking about replacing all of the tie rod ends, etc. to see if that helps. I have to tow a trailer around 250 miles next month, I'd like to get my steering under control.

I mainly notice the wandering around 55+. Under 50 I really don't have an issue with.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Look at some longer sway bar links using all thread and poly bushings. Some people just order new Moog links as they are a tad longer then stock.

rebl68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice any wandering prior to the lift and tires. I'm sure the wider tire does contribute some, but it feels like there is a decently sized dead spot in the steering. I had already tightened the box a little, but I don't want to go to far, and I'm sure it's not the best solution. I'm thinking about replacing all of the tie rod ends, etc. to see if that helps. I have to tow a trailer around 250 miles next month, I'd like to get my steering under control.

I mainly notice the wandering around 55+. Under 50 I really don't have an issue with.

yeah I think i have the same issue as you. longer sway links up front are my next move - along with ball joints / tie rod ends which seem OK, but are the last old parts on the front end.

OP
OP
Mudfrog

Mudfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a longer front link? I've seen them for 6" lifts but not for 2-3".

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Nothing out there for a 2-3" except make your own OR take one off and go to the auto store to match up size but longer then buy them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364