Grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonKatie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
04 Yukon SLT
Grinding noise when taking off from stops or going slow. Always under 30mps. Goes away after a moment of hesitation. Doesnt happen all the time. Can happen when its cold..or when has been driven for awhile. dry or wet pavement.
No engine codes. Only check stability and traction active readout on dash. (these have gone away after steering sensor replaced)
Had mechanic scan the truck. Code for the steering wheel stability sensor came up...that was replaced. Grinding still is happening.
Mechanic says the wheel bearing hub speed sensors are working properly. says my hubs are good...
Vehicle has had all new brakes, rotors, calipers...complete front and rear suspension.
No squealing or whirling noises.....just the grinding that sounds like metal rolling around in gears.
I need some help.

(happens in forward and reverse)

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like hubs might be bad to me. The mechanic said the sensors were good (for the stabilitrak?), but did he check for play in the hubs / wheel bearings? This is an easy test. Just get one wheel in the air, and try pulling / pushing at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions. Also again at the 3 and 9 o’clock. If you feel any play, bearings are no good.

Not the best video, but should hopefully give you some idea:

Last edited:
OP
OP
YukonKatie

YukonKatie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like hubs might be bad to me. The mechanic said the sensors were good (for the stabilitrak?), but did he check for play in the hubs / wheel bearings? This is an easy test. Just get one wheel in the air, and try pulling / pushing at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions. Also again at the 3 and 9 o’clock. If you feel any play, bearings are no good.

Not the best video, but should hopefully give you some idea:
I dont know if he did or not. He said the wheel speed sensors on the Hub were good...and just said my hubs were good. I will definitely ask him. Thanks!

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are really a lot of possibilities, but hubs on these rigs are low hanging fruit for sure..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmstar

Latest posts