GMT800 vs GMT900. Which to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it wouldn't be unheard of to hear a transmission or two replaced with either generation. I mean I'm getting a massive beefy full-sized SUV with a beefy V8, I expect gas mileages to equal that. I'd rather deal with a cracked dash than having swiss cheese holes in my frame.

I thought about taking a small trip somewhere down south/midwest to get a clean framed one. Yeah I have some basic hand tools, gonna bring a aftermarket head unit with me to swap out in like a Walmart parking lot so driving back is a lot easier.
I flew to vegas and bought mine and drove it home 7 hours, it was middle of the night so I just pulled into a mcdonalds at 4am and slept in the back for a couple hours and drove it the rest of the way home, lots of rust free ones on the west coast but always check the car fax to see where it has been. I wouldn't touch one from anywhere on the east coast, maybe florida.... and plenty in Texas seem to be priced fair

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it wouldn't be unheard of to hear a transmission or two replaced with either generation. I mean I'm getting a massive beefy full-sized SUV with a beefy V8, I expect gas mileages to equal that. I'd rather deal with a cracked dash than having swiss cheese holes in my frame.

I thought about taking a small trip somewhere down south/midwest to get a clean framed one. Yeah I have some basic hand tools, gonna bring a aftermarket head unit with me to swap out in like a Walmart parking lot so driving back is a lot easier.
PM me if you are interested in a sale. I'm toying with selling my 2008 Denali. It came from CA. It's in WI now, but rarely gets driven due to having a company truck. I'm thinking of getting a pickup and am looking at possibilities.

If interested, reach out and I can give you more info. Well maintained and in good shape.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ, 280,000 miles, burns no oil, original 4 speed Transmission (never rebuilt) The only recurring issue I have is the catalytic convertor likes to fail, and no one can diagnose why. I had the rear axle rebuilt at around 200K due to a funny noise. Beyond that it has been a great vehicle.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMT-900 for sure. #1 reason because of rack and pinion steering. The 800s feel worn out and sloppy even if you replace everything. The 900 also has just enough features (if you get a Denali or Escalade) to not feel like you’re driving an old car but without the $90k price tag of a new car with all this cool stuff they made you think you had to have that won’t work by the time the warranty expires because it’s outdated and can’t be upgraded.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned before, I have 280K on my 2007 Tahoe LTZ. In January my wife and me went to Hawaii, and we rented a newer Tahoe GMT900. It was a nice truck had some newer features, but it did not have anything that made me want one. And, with only 60,000 miles on it the truck ran like garbage. We went with Friends and he got the Suburban, and he said his was the same way, ran like garbage. At that point I decided that I would just nurse my 07 as long as possible.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. That said, best be prepared; sooner or later ...
Which one? Or both?
The Catalytic Convertor, is almost always the Right Side (Bank 2), one time out of the 5 it has failed was bank 1, every other time is Bank 2. It lasted about 70,000 miles this last time, I think this last failure was my own fault because I took so long to replace Cyl 8 spark plug. I have replaced all of the injectors at 250,000 to diagnose a problem with a fuel leakdown, which causes it to start somewhat hard after it sits for several hours. Easy to bypass, just turn key on wait 3 seconds then it fires right up.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll vote for GMT 800, but I'm partial to them. I have a 1999 Silverado RCSB 2wd that bought back in college. Got really good use of it. I bought an 06 Suburban 2500 2wd because I needed more room to drop my kids off school in the morning but hanging on to the 99. The suburban is pretty high mileage, but runs good. I also have an 04 suburban 4x4 that I bought as a project. In the GMT 800 to me it boils down to 4L60e vs 4L80e. I really like the 4L80e. Even learned how to overhaul them myself last year. I just wish the 6 speeds were more durable. I mean, many are. And rebuild kits are so darn expensive. I have a 6 speed in a 2020 Express Van my wife drives.

Interestingly, my 99 Silverado has rack and pinion. I just replaced it because it was leaking badly, and basically rebuilt the entire front end. On it's third time rack and pinion at 270k. The 06 is steering box. I've never understood why some trucks have R&P vs steering box. I thought on the 99-02 1500 trucks it was a 2wd vs 4x4 thing?

I didn't realize the GMT 900s had R&P. That's on all of them? Even the 4x4? I don't think I've been inside a GMT 900 now that think about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230805_170410761.jpg
    IMG_20230805_170410761.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230708_190242905_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230708_190242905_HDR.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 13

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll vote for GMT 800, but I'm partial to them. I have a 1999 Silverado RCSB 2wd that bought back in college. Got really good use of it. I bought an 06 Suburban 2500 2wd because I needed more room to drop my kids off school in the morning but hanging on to the 99. The suburban is pretty high mileage, but runs good. I also have an 04 suburban 4x4 that I bought as a project. In the GMT 800 to me it boils down to 4L60e vs 4L80e. I really like the 4L80e. Even learned how to overhaul them myself last year. I just wish the 6 speeds were more durable. I mean, many are. And rebuild kits are so darn expensive. I have a 6 speed in a 2020 Express Van my wife drives.

Interestingly, my 99 Silverado has rack and pinion. I just replaced it because it was leaking badly, and basically rebuilt the entire front end. On it's third time rack and pinion at 270k. The 06 is steering box. I've never understood why some trucks have R&P vs steering box. I thought on the 99-02 1500 trucks it was a 2wd vs 4x4 thing?

I didn't realize the GMT 900s had R&P. That's on all of them? Even the 4x4? I don't think I've been inside a GMT 900 now that think about it.
all the 1500's yes, and then the 15+ are all electric, no power steering pump or pulley but they add a vacuum pump where the alternator normally is and moved the alternator over to the right. then on the 21+ it's all screwy with the coolant reservoir on the drivers side and everything is moved back more, seats are higher, pillars are thick and you have a sun visor sized view out the back window..

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get why feature creatures might prefer the GMT900 over the GMT800.
I even miss the GMT900's rack&pinion steering.
IFF I lived where road & traffic allowed for more driving fun, I MIGHT prefer a GMT900 over a GMT800.

Since road & traffic where I live conspire against driving fun, and I VASTLY prefer Lean Cruise over either having V4mode, and/or spending money to get rid of V4mode,
I vote GMT800, whether 4L60E or 4L80E.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts