GM Tech 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Tech 2 cannot do much past 2010. It can read some modules but not all and no programming past 2010. You need an MDI. Regards to the above comment, yes you can do some "programming" but you cannot program new modules without SPS

Atrus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might want to scroll down to the bottom of the page in that link and see where it says choose ONE CARD.(In bright red font) Why would you want a HOLDEN Card anyway? Isnt that GMs line in Australia? You goin down under mate? lmao

Just get one already! Youll love it! Especially if you have all GM vehicles in the family. The thing does everything but turn a wrench for you.

really dumb question, but I have never used AliExpress.... looking at the link, how do you notify the seller of which card you want and that you'd want the dongle? Is there a field at checkout or do they email you or something?

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You choose which card you want (im assuming GM)under the color choices. Im not seeing that the above link comes with the dongle. ????

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess since this is an older unit for older trucks, these knock offs will have updated software? I see some sellers have 2017 written on their ads. Following vendor seems to have two similar cables that I do not see other vendors presenting. I assume this is mistake or trick?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...lt&btsid=f801ba68-49da-4cae-a8ad-88077821b9c8
These arent "older units". GM Dealerships still use the Tech 2. Some also just use the MDI units. Ill post a video up of some stuff us tech 2 owners can do with our ****** clones on youtube. Ill use my Yukon Denali 05 as the test subject. It has some bugs I need to work out which will require the tech 2 anyway.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech 2 cannot do much past 2010. It can read some modules but not all and no programming past 2010. You need an MDI. Regards to the above comment, yes you can do some "programming" but you cannot program new modules without SPS

They changed this in the middle of a run of vehicles? Was there a change in electronics in the 2007-2014 trucks?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Couldn't tell you exactly what they did, I just know you can't use a tech2 past 2009-2010 to program, you need the MDI. You can still use it for diagnostic on SOME vehicles including the trucks / SUV but I know it doesn't work on a 2010 camaro and a few other vehicles - must use MDI.

Herb Rodriguez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a scanner as well. I got one called BlueDriver. It's a free ap for your phone. One of the few that I saw that was Mac/Apple compatible. The bluetooth device that you plug into the DLT costs $100 though on Amazon. Free updates, reads and clears codes from engine, drivetrain, trans, ABS and airbags, plus live data. This is my first scanner and I'm learning as I go but so far it's really been helpful with the 03 Yukon XL I just bought.

usafdenalidrw

Reaction score
Ordered one today. Hope to use it for my 04 Yukon xl denali and maybe limited use on my 2012 Sierra Denali hd

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered one today. Hope to use it for my 04 Yukon xl denali and maybe limited use on my 2012 Sierra Denali hd

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
The tech 2 wont work on your 2012. They changed something in the computer language protocol. I would assume bitrate and/or digital data is longer in hex or binary length. But Aliexpress has the MDI unit too and its cheaper than the Tech 2. Have at it!
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...iative_id=AS_20170404211711&SearchText=mdi+gm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper