Gloss Black OEM 20'' Chevy Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeZO6

Reaction score
Proper Ways to Refinish your Wheels!

Has anybody on here done this? Or maybe there's been a post a while back or something? And if someone can find some pictures that'd be nice too :).

Blackchaos and everyone else,

I've completed this process dozens of times for wheels on my 2 Audi S4s, my R32 and my ZO6, along with customer cars when I owned my own Performance Shop. I've done it with the wheels off the cars and on the cars, but it's much easier with the wheels OFF if you have the ability. If not, make sure you tape off the surrounding areas, (that you don't want painted), very well and make sure you have a clean MF Towel and a good Detailing Spray to clean off any overspray you may get, try to get to it very quickly, if not, you will have to go through the process of buffing, detailing, etc.

Here are some good articles and videos, some straight from the manufacture themselves... but the 3 main/most important things to remember for this process are:

1: Proper Prep!!!

2: Good Paint! I really like G2 paint, 1Z Einszett, Wurth and Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating.

3: Proper Painting Techniques; ie: even strokes, no drips, etc. etc.

• NO BS: Prep is tedious, time consuming and boring, but, it's the absolute key to getting the proper quality finish that you need and that lasts. DO NOT, under any circumstances, take any shortcuts on the prep or any other detail for that matter, you will only REGRET it in SHORT RUN and you will want to kick yourself because you will have to do it all over again.

EVERYTHING can be found in the below articles and videos I have posted below. Please take the time to review them as it will benefit you greatly. ( and I've spent almost 40 minutes composing this post with the links, etc. :Handshake: )

Also, remember that any good shop will charge on AVERAGE about $125.00 per wheel to POWDERCOAT your wheel. I've done this for myself and for my customers and to be honest, if you can afford it, I would tell you to Powdercoat your wheels of doing it yourself any day of the week as a good PC will last for a long time and will look awesome!

The question is, in regards to this situation, which is more valuable; your time or your money and decent to good quality or your time and your money for PC for awesome quality?!?!

Anyway, the information as I promised. GOOD LUCK!!

Articles:

How to refinish wheels using dupli color wheel paint

How to properly refinish your wheels.

How to custom paint your wheels. E-HOW Article.

How To Refinish Wheels Using Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Paint = Part 2

How ro properly apply G2 or ANY kind of good wheel paint.

Another good DIY from Hondatech

Another Duplicolor How To Video

Another great DIY spefically for black wheels, but applies to all.

More videos on how to do this project properly.

Where to Purchase
:

G2 PAINT from Tirerack.

1Z Einszett Wheel Paint and Wurth High Gloss Clear Lacquer. - Autogeek.net

http://www.autobarn.net/dupwpseries.html

Dupli, Autoglym and VHT Paint.

More DP Purchasing Options

More 1z Einszett Purchasing Options.

http://www.1z-usa.com

I hope this helps you and anyone else!! Please post photos of your progress and please feel free to ask any kind of question you may have... there is no such thing as a stupid question!!:Handshake::party33::hands::pimp:

Justin​

I_MG_5474.JPG

Last edited:

Keanen55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use a Self-Etching Primer, just to make sure that it sticks.

BTW FLTAHoE, those wheel are sweet!!

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thought about putting some sort of bowtie back on it?

FLtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Keanen55 - thanks, i'm really happy with them. i wanted something factory, but unique (and i don't really like chrome) so that was what i came up with.

@w33m4n - ya, i've thought about accentuating the bowtie somehow, but i'm not sure if i will. i think a nice outline, or even a gold (or body color) filled in bowtie would look pretty good, but im content with it for now. if you look closely at it, the bowtie is slightly raised or noticable, which i wasn't planning on, but really like.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
ive just got mine done. Polished the sides and Powder coated the face and lips.

39217d1295656617-truck-wheel-project-imag0371.jpg

heres a friend that did his reversed and matched his paint.
SANY1264.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe