Getting 'Service Ride Control' on DIC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well today after running some errands when I started my truck to head home that message appeared in the DIC. Checked the fuses and they were good. Looked underneath for any loose connections and found none. I already replaced my compressor and rear shocks. I just used my autoride yesterday and heard my compressor kick in as I went fishing when I hooked up the boat. It kicked in again when I loaded the boat back up as well. I am kinda stumped to why it would just stop working. I also looked for power at the harness feeding the compressor and didn't have any. I used a 12 volt source with two leads and probed the red and black wires and the compressor started to run. What gives? I checked the connections at the ride control module too. I stopped at both of my local Autozones for a repair manual and they were out. Any insight, ideas, or schematics would be greatly appreciated. I use the autoride feature and am not looking to get rid of it. I hate to have to take it in to the dealer but I'm afraid that is where its going to go.....

Thanks in advance ;)

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clear the code. Then trouble shoot. Move each height sensor up and down and see if the compressor kicks on.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
check front shock connectors make sure not chewed up.

OP
OP
O

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clear the code. Then trouble shoot. Move each height sensor up and down and see if the compressor kicks on.

I tried that and it came back on. I also let the air out of the shocks and it didn't kick on. I will look at the height sensors in the am. Thanks.

check front shock connectors make sure not chewed up.

I will look at those in the am as well. Thank you.

I was doing some research and found a couple vids that may help others too. The first one shows what fuses to check and second shows how to test the ALC relay. I pulled mine and tested it. It was showing more resistance than normal so I think it may be bad. I also made a jumper wire to bypass the relay and my compressor kicked on. Tried Autozone and they didn't have them-gonna hit up NAPA in the morning and see if they stock them. Found them online but would rather get one up front to see if that is the fix. Appreciate the responses..

The videos:

Fuses

[yt]p2oao_8GjNM[/yt]

Relay

[yt]W94Tf3s5jDM[/yt]

EDIT: This morning inspected the ride control connections at each of the shocks along with the 2 rear ride height sensors. Everything looks OK. NAPA wanted over double what I could get that ALC relay for online so I ordered it and will just have to wait. If that fails, then it will be off to somebody with a good scan tool to help me troubleshoot what has failed...

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well today I went and had the my truck scanned for codes........

DTC C0660 Level Control Exhaust Valve Circuit

Did some small trouble shooting and am going to be contacting Arnott for a little help. Jumping the ALC relay turns on the compressor but just keeps filling the rear shocks(if left alone they would fill til they tore). Tried ohming out the 2 wires on the compressor(blue/white) for the exhaust valve-got zero-supposed to read in the neighborhood of 18-45 ohms. Not sure if my compressor took a crap again or not but cannot just buy an exhaust solenoid valve. Depending on what I get from Arnott technical......I may end up ditching the whole system. I don't wanna drop more $$ on parts they may not fix my issue.

Who knows maybe I will just do a 2/3 drop with regular shocks......

To be continued ;)

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job. There is a video out there of a common place the wires to the compressor get corroded and fail. Can't remember where but its on this forum. I would wait until you get the really could be a simple fix. Ill try to find the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
O

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job. There is a video out there of a common place the wires to the compressor get corroded and fail. Can't remember where but its on this forum. I would wait until you get the really could be a simple fix. Ill try to find the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I have seen it and it is the 2 wires (blue/white) that go into the exhaust solenoid valve which is attached to the compressor. Those usually corode and it is usually the original compressor. I just replaced mine about a year a half ago.

OP
OP
O

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update for those who keep their autoride.....

Picked another compressor from Arnott and installed it tonite. NO more D.I.C. messages and the compressor aired up like it is supposed to. Fixed for now. Not too happy about a new compressor taking a crap after a year(bought it in Feb '12)-gonna send Arnott a nice email about it. Anyways-hope this helps somebody someday :Handshake:

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update for those who keep their autoride.....

Picked another compressor from Arnott and installed it tonite. NO more D.I.C. messages and the compressor aired up like it is supposed to. Fixed for now. Not too happy about a new compressor taking a crap after a year(bought it in Feb '12)-gonna send Arnott a nice email about it. Anyways-hope this helps somebody someday :Handshake:

Glad you at least got it fixed though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goldwing2000