Getting an 03 tahoe, opinions on mods and ?'s about tune up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmoney_2010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so by early june I should have my hoe.
Its a 2003 LT 4x4 Charcoal Black with grey leather and pretty much every option except DVD. and has about 95,000 to 100,000 miles. im still in high school so this will be a pretty nice second car. anyways I have a list of mods and tune up type things that Im going to do and want some opinions/reccomendations.
1. Magnaflow Muffler- Single Center in, single offset out. #12589. Just replace stock muffler with this. Or single in, dual out. #12590 or #12588
2. AEM Brute Force, autoanything.com.
3. AC Delco Spark Plugs and maybe wires.
4. Change transmission fluid
5. Change cooling system fluids
6. Change fuel filter
7. BB cable tune
8. Anzo projector halo headlights, black housing, vvme? 5000k HIDs low and high. Get harness . 4 high mod. Connect halos to parking lights.
9. LED tails
10. Silverado SS Wheels and SS badging
11. SS bumper cover
12. SS roll pan maybe
13. Diff running boards

So how does this sound? also what fluids do I use for the tranny and cooling systme?
Oh and thanks for starting this forum! I love being there for the start of the forum so I can be up on all the topics from the start..

Last edited:

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my 03 2 years ago and luv it. I'm BS haven't got my rims and other stuff, but I did my stereo.

Last edited:

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Ok so by early june I should have my hoe.
Its a 2003 LT 4x4 Charcoal Black with grey leather and pretty much every option except DVD. and has about 95,000 to 100,000 miles. im still in high school so this will be a pretty nice second car. anyways I have a list of mods and tune up type things that Im going to do and want some opinions/reccomendations.
1. Magnaflow Muffler- Single Center in, single offset out. #12589. Just replace stock muffler with this. Or single in, dual out. #12590 or #12588
2. AEM Brute Force, autoanything.com.
3. AC Delco Spark Plugs and maybe wires.
4. Change transmission fluid
5. Change cooling system fluids
6. Change fuel filter
7. BB cable tune
8. Anzo projector halo headlights, black housing, vvme? 5000k HIDs low and high. Get harness . 4 high mod. Connect halos to parking lights.

So how does this sound? also what fluids do I use for the tranny and cooling systme?
Oh and thanks for starting this forum! I love being there for the start of the forum so I can be up on all the topics from the start..

You need to hit up a dude on this forum named Max... he should be able to get you that AEM brute force cheaper then anywhere else.

As far as the ATF, are you going to do a full flush? At 100k i would recomend that instead of just the pan. And use DEX VI not DEX III (and if you have the money i would recomend spending the $10 a quart on the royal purple DEX VI)

Check the Dif. fluids as well.

As for the coolant system you have to use Dexcool.

I would also recomend buying two cans of sea foam, running an intire can in the gas tank, running about 1/2 a can through the break booster vacuum line (there are instructions on how to do this as well as several videos of it on youtube) and run the remainder into the transfer case with the oil a week or so before you change it. This will strip a lot of the carbon deposits from the entire system and give you a nice foundation to start with.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as running boards, the esky ones are painted and have chrome caps on the ends. Looks good installed on tahoes and yukons.

OP
OP
G

Gmoney_2010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Are there any downsides to the sea foam? I've read several topics about it over at TF but I can't remember if there were any or not.
Yeah this is currently my cousins tahoe and he is graduating college so he gets a new car for graduation, which is also what this tahoe was for high school, and then I get it, and I've been waiting for this for like a year so I'm stoked!

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow Muffler- Single Center in, single offset out. #12589. Just replace stock muffler with this. Or single in, dual out. #12590 or #12588

Stick with the single in single out, duals will kill your low end torque its to much pipe with what your going to be running

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as running boards, the esky ones are painted and have chrome caps on the ends. Looks good installed on tahoes and yukons.

Man I ned to find some Esky running boards and a Roof Rack.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow Muffler- Single Center in, single offset out. #12589. Just replace stock muffler with this. Or single in, dual out. #12590 or #12588

Stick with the single in single out, duals will kill your low end torque its to much pipe with what your going to be running
agree. These have 3" piping, more than enough for these 4.8/5.3's.

PavementPounder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not recommend a street scene rear bumper cover. My painter looked at right out of the box and his exact quote was, "well we can fix it then paint it". Had I not already shelled the dough I would have found a denali rear bumper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK