Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
These aren't necessary for those of us without AFM/DOD, is that a fair assumption from what I'm reading? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I installed my MIT, and it seems that if I were consuming oil like I've seen from those that do have AFM/DOD I would have other problems to address.

RotaryMachineRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not necessarily a "problem", the oil vapour circulation is by design, albeit a poor design your engine will run perfectly fine for years without a catch can. It is for those of us who prefer to keep the throttle body/intake manifold cleaner. There is risk for this stuff to gunk up over time but this is after many many miles. It is typical in many engines.

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me? no. All my engines are tight and have a proper PCV system.

Millions of others? Hell yes. Its all over the forums.
Some have seen as much as a quart loss every 500 miles.

RotaryMachineRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let's say you're changing your oil every 4000 miles... You're saying that people are losing/adding 8 quarts of oil to their engine because of the PCV circulating into the intake in between every oil change.... Get real

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Even 2-3 oz every 3k is ridiculous. Either way, spending 70-100 bucks is worth every penny imo to keep that shit from clogging up.

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These aren't necessary for those of us without AFM/DOD, is that a fair assumption from what I'm reading? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I installed my MIT, and it seems that if I were consuming oil like I've seen from those that do have AFM/DOD I would have other problems to address.

No afm here and when I installed the Cai and catch can at 80k on my 09 YD there was a puddle of oil in the intake that you could see when you opened up the tb butterfly. Catches other 'milky' crap in it too. I plan on keeping this truck to 200k so it's cheap insurance for me.

aflumb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since i just read the last couple post. Would it be normal for me to not find any oil in my catch can or intake since having DOD/AFM disabled by BBP. But there was some when i first installed my MIT after around the 3k-5k range. But since the tune i have seen any in the intake. 2012 Truck only has 32K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadnerAutomotive