Gas smell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
Alright, I'm notorious for letting my mind run away with me, and I always assume the worst... But... I keep getting a gas smell, and it seems like it's coming from underneath the car, close to the right rear tire (yes, right where the gas tank is located...). I first noticed this smell near the first of this week. The only thing that has happened is last Thursday, I was driving on a backroad, and accidentally ran over a rather small limb, which ended up getting stuck underneath the vehicle... I drug the limb for a few feet, got out, and simply pulled it out from underneath the car... It got stuck pretty much directly under my driver side front door though, so I didn't think anything about it... I had actually forgot about this until I made this post... Anyway, I've inspected the ground under the vehicle on numerous occasions, and I haven't noticed any puddles, gas-stained gravel, etc.. This is random, but I've recently started using air-fresheners in my truck, they're called Refresh Clean Linen or something like that, and it's a VERY strong smell, and when I step out of the car, the smell changes with the environment, and I'm hoping that this could be why I'm getting a "gas smell", because I didn't notice this smell until after I put the air-fresheners in, but I know that this probably isn't the case :(... I'm literally scared out of my mind right now, because I HATE it when something goes wrong with my car.... So, yeah... What do you guys think? Do you think that it's a punctured gas line or tank, or simply my over-working, constantly upset mind? Like I've said, I haven't NOTICED any puddles or gas spots under the truck... And I haven't noticeably been "losing gas"... Please help...

Also, not sure if this is at all relevant, but I've also been experiencing engine fault code P0449. The rep at AutoZone said something about a canister in the engine bay, and excess gas left after the engine is turned off... My CEL has been on since like, April because of this...

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well There you go....... You must have knocked something in the EVAP system loose. Those lines run from the Intake manifold area all they way to the spare tire. I would remove my spare and start looking from there tracing my EVAP system lines and hoses.

Should go like...... Evap System canister at spare tire.....then trace to Gas Tank.....then to engine. Make sure your fuel cap is nice and tight with a good seal on the gasket, heck shoot some amor all on it.

That should be your gas smell too.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/help-p0449-p0455-codes-32465/

Also see that ^^^^

OP
OP
R_Sharpe

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
So you're saying that the EVAP Canister (P0449) is the culprit? Perhaps it's finally filled up and is leaking gas? Because it's been showing P0449 since almost April, and I never noticed the smell before this week. That would actually make sense, because I don't smell the gas until I shut the engine off. And the smell seems to be strongest in the right rear wheel-well... Hopefully I can get the part to replace, and have my mechanic install it for me... I'm REALLY hoping that this is the problem, and not a punctured line or tank.... Thanks!

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're saying that the EVAP Canister (P0449) is the culprit? Perhaps it's finally filled up and is leaking gas?

Your canister is activated charcoal and a some other stuff I think. It is NOT supposed to have any actual gasoline in it EVER. ONLY the gasoline FUMES are housed in it instead of being released into the environment as unburned hydrocarbons. That is why they tell you NOT to top off a tank too much because overfilling it can send actual gasoline into the canister damaging it. You should check both the valves the one at the engine and the one at the spare tire.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm notorious for letting my mind run away with me, and I always assume the worst... But... I keep getting a gas smell, and it seems like it's coming from underneath the car, close to the right rear tire (yes, right where the gas tank is located...). I first noticed this smell near the first of this week. The only thing that has happened is last Thursday, I was driving on a backroad, and accidentally ran over a rather small limb, which ended up getting stuck underneath the vehicle... I drug the limb for a few feet, got out, and simply pulled it out from underneath the car... It got stuck pretty much directly under my driver side front door though, so I didn't think anything about it... I had actually forgot about this until I made this post... Anyway, I've inspected the ground under the vehicle on numerous occasions, and I haven't noticed any puddles, gas-stained gravel, etc.. This is random, but I've recently started using air-fresheners in my truck, they're called Refresh Clean Linen or something like that, and it's a VERY strong smell, and when I step out of the car, the smell changes with the environment, and I'm hoping that this could be why I'm getting a "gas smell", because I didn't notice this smell until after I put the air-fresheners in, but I know that this probably isn't the case :(... I'm literally scared out of my mind right now, because I HATE it when something goes wrong with my car.... So, yeah... What do you guys think? Do you think that it's a punctured gas line or tank, or simply my over-working, constantly upset mind? Like I've said, I haven't NOTICED any puddles or gas spots under the truck... And I haven't noticeably been "losing gas"... Please help...

Also, not sure if this is at all relevant, but I've also been experiencing engine fault code P0449. The rep at AutoZone said something about a canister in the engine bay, and excess gas left after the engine is turned off... My CEL has been on since like, April because of this...

Agreed, something may be loose or disconnected. I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician.

Please keep us posted.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

wilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
gas smell

my 2008 yukon had gas smell , it was cracked fuel line on right side of engine goeing to fuel rail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheelz70