gas gauge is going nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmodel65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they call it a humming bird gas gauge or w/e basically the oil that used to dampen it has leaked out. you remove the gauge and refill it with oil from an rc car like a traxxis truck and it fixes it. maybe search here or google for the fix i read it on fullsizechevy.com iirc

OP
OP
D

dhg4dragon8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sorry video might be still rendering.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

what would be a good weight

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Ha, I love it when that happens. Yep could use the dampening fluid but you look to have some minor wear on the sender. The dampening fluid should hide it tho.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they call it a humming bird gas gauge or w/e basically the oil that used to dampen it has leaked out. you remove the gauge and refill it with oil from an rc car like a traxxis truck and it fixes it. maybe search here or google for the fix i read it on fullsizechevy.com iirc

This is a crazzy fault

With a more crazy fix

LOL

I had a 2001 G3500 with this problem. Sold it before I got to it.

rmodel65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are pulse width modulated so the thing sends a signal and it bounces..the oil dampens the pulse..

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very common on these trucks the gauge is screwed up mine doesn't work either. Mine floats back and forth across the whole range.

I gave up on trying to figure out a solution and simply just do the math and use my trip odometer on how much gas I have. I figure 10 mpg because most of my driving is stop and go driving in town. So the tank should get 300 miles and I never leave less then 3 gallons in it.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
they are pulse width modulated so the thing sends a signal and it bounces..the oil dampens the pulse..

Incorrect somewhat. His vehicle is 1996. It has power, ground and a direct connection to the sender. No pcm is involved up to 1997. Because the dampening effect is not there you are seeing what is something like a "scratchy volume control" effect. The range of the sender resistance goes from 0-90 ohms. As the sender wears it something create a high resistance momentarily as the float move. That sends a gauge with out dampening turn acrobatic.

largewon62

Reaction score
.....so, replacing the sending unit would cure that issue?
Mine used to spin all the way around before I added dampening fluid, now, it works when it wants to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978

Latest posts