Fuse box question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st let me explain what I am doing. I am installing a LED light bar on my Tahoe. It came with a wire harness that is ok but I see 1 small issue that I can easily correct. The switch has 2 lights on it. 1 indicates the power is on (green) and 1 indicates the power is off (red). The issue I have with this is I want to connect the harness straight to the battery. Meaning the switch will always have a light on and as small of a draw the led will have, it is a draw I don't want. So I decided to put a relay from an ignition source to correct the issue. Looking on the Fuse box on the fender the only place I see an open plug for ignition is one place for one spade labeled "Prime" (see pic). Does anyone out there in cyber land know the purpose for this and can I use it to switch my relay without hurting any other system? A thousand thanks to an answer.

1489535847922-497441888.jpg

20170314_191135.jpg

20170314_191046.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just make it easy on yourself, open up the switch and disconnect one of the leads to the red LED so it won't light up at all, that way no draw!!

OP
OP
TXBowtieGuy

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just make it easy on yourself, open up the switch and disconnect one of the leads to the red LED so it won't light up at all, that way no draw!!

Good idea but...Hold my beer and watch this...what I did was meter the "prime" hole in the fuse box and what I found out is, it is hot 14.4v whenever the fuel pump is running. So 2+2= I'm not gonna use it even if it's only on a relay. Not messin with nun of that fuel system. When you first turn the key it energizes for about 3 or 4 sec then goes cold until you start the Tahoe then it's hot on a constant. I'm gueswing some kind of test port for the fuel pump. Just going to run another wire to the fuse box in the cab. The switch is small and cheap and I want to replace it with my zombie light rocker switch then I can run a dimmer wire to the backlight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j