Fuel pump has power but not running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am baffled by this one. I was pretty sure my pump was dead, relay was good, but there was no prime. I got the tank dropped, tested the wiring, and it was all good. 12V on the pump power wire for a few seconds when key goes on, then back to 0. Ground was less than 2 ohms to the negative battery terminal. I Then checked the pump. the resistance across the motor looked good, and indeed was nearly identical to the new pump I had already picked up. I even plugged in the new pump, Just to make sure, but it still will not run! What the hell could be going on...

EDIT: I suppose there could be a wire hanging on by one strand, and it's just taking a shit when it tries to draw current. I will try running my own ground and power lead tomorrow and see which one seems to be the problem. Still, anyone seen a similar issue?

Last edited:

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably have fixed this by now- it is likely the fuel pump relay that has failed.

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is fixed. I had tried swapping the relay and it was good. something was bad in the Positive lead from the pump to the relay. I ran a new one and all is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019