Fuel pressure specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewg29

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the fuel pressure specs are for a 2002 chevy tahoe z71 5.3l with the flex fuel engine. I got 45 psi but I don't know if that's too low or not

OP
OP
andrewg29

andrewg29

Reaction score
Looks like 55-62 psi with key on, with approx 8 psi drop when the motor is running. However, I'm not sure if there is a difference for the flex fuel or not.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21015

Have you changed your fuel filter?
Is your check engine light on?
No lights and changed the fuel filter about 6k miles ago. Also when the engine is warm i have trouble starting the truck I have to cycle the ignition 3 or 4 times before the engine will starts and the truck won't start once it gets right above a quarter tank thats why I'm thinking I Have low fuel pressure and the FPR is good.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your year model truck, I think the FPR is located on the fuel rail on top of the intake. In later years (mine included) it is integrated into the fuel pump assembly.

I'd replace the FPR first since it is about $100, then see if that fixes your problem. If not, return it to the parts store and start researching on how to replace your fuel pump assembly.

OP
OP
andrewg29

andrewg29

Reaction score
Alright man I guess that's where I'll start. I appreciate it!

FreshLikeOprah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck is a 2002? It's not Flex Fuel. They didnt come out until 05+ iirc

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Also, your pump could be going out. If you're having to cycle it multiple times, and it's low pressure.

OP
OP
andrewg29

andrewg29

Reaction score
Your truck is a 2002? It's not Flex Fuel. They didnt come out until 05+ iirc

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Also, your pump could be going out. If you're having to cycle it multiple times, and it's low pressure.
It is a flex fuel it says it on the gas cap and the owners manual. And it's the check valve in the fuel pump I already figured it out. Thanks though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo