Fuel issue/running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
Ok so I'm still working out the kinks on my 1995 2 door Hoe. Now, I should have done some more research before I bought her but she had everything I wanted (Barn doors, 4wd, 2dr, etc). We put a new crate 5.7L motor in her. Kept the existing intake, TBI and all the accessories. Since I got her back together, I've noticed a tick/hesitation in idling at a stop light and she bogs down when I accelerate but cruises great. I've replaced the o-rings at the delivery and return lines in the back of the TBI with AC-Delco ones. I've replaced and changed the harness for the engine coolant temp sensor. I've replaced the harness for the engine coolant temp sensor (the one that goes into the left side of the block). There was a small vacuum leak off of the TBI, we fixed that. I replaced my ground strap from the block to the frame rail on the right side. Timing was set at TDC and hasn't changed. I replaced my t-stat with a 195 degree one. I also replaced my vehicle speed sensor on the tranny as the tranny wasn't shifting right.

Onto what it does. When I crank her up in the morning, she idles at 1k at first until she settles down and then it's 550-600 once I hit reverse and pull out. Heading down the road, she's a bit sluggish but once I'm about a mile into my 6 mile journey to work, she's steady. If I stop at a stop light, the tach will bounce from 500 all the way up to 1k and sometimes the tach bounces and there is no corresponding engine response. She used to lurch a bit when the tach starts bouncing but she doesn't do that since I replaced the o-rings and ECT sensor. She smells like it is a little rich. I just can't figure out how to get that idle smoothed out and I've run out of my shade tree/internet search ideas. I'm thinking my fuel pump may be going as my gas gauge bounces a lot and right now, after a full tank, I'm like 1/4 of a tank over full. To test the fuel pressure, I'd have to rent the tool from O'Reilly's because my system has no Schrader valve, I'd have to rig one in before the fuel pump.

Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated. It may also just be that the TBI is a piece of junk as my husband keeps telling me and he's going to get his wish to get a new intake and carb.

JT357

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I 've been having a similar problem with my 95 Yukon TBI. When it's cold it idles very rough until it warms up and then it is fine. When it's warm sitting at a light is when the trouble starts. It'll idle at 500 for a while and then drop to around 450 and then jump to high 500's. If it sits long enough the engine will die.

I posted just a few minutes ago about my issue. I've replaced a lot of parts, but no electrical harness's. I haven't checked the fuel pressure, but right now I'm thinking it's the fuel pump. I've seen similar posts around the internet and it's been a culprit a few times over.

OP
OP
dkknaebel

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
I replaced my instrument cluster this weekend and it helped smooth it out a little more, but the next step is the fuel pump. I think that is my culprit as well.

JT357

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to drop my fuel tank this weekend. At least that's the plan right now. I'll order the pump once I verify which one is in there. I'll let you know if it helps any.

OP
OP
dkknaebel

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
Thanks! I think that is my culprit as well, just need to do the same and drop the tank and make sure my pump is the correct one. I had no idea that 95 was such a bastardized year. The OBD1.5 is a killer to deal with. If you have to do your lower ball joints, double check twice before ordering. Everything pointed to me having press in ones and they were the bolt ins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21tahoepos