Front Wheel Bad Bearing and Hub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 GMC Yukon 5.3 flex 2WD 175,000 miles.

I have been feeling this vibration from the front of the vehicle for sometime now. It's not an alignment problem. I jacked up the driver side front wheel a few minutes ago. Putting my hands at 9 and 3 on the wheel there is a small amount of play when wiggling on the wheel.

Does that point to a bad wheel bearing and hub assembly or something else?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
2008 GMC Yukon 5.3 flex 2WD 175,000 miles.

I have been feeling this vibration from the front of the vehicle for sometime now. It's not an alignment problem. I jacked up the driver side front wheel a few minutes ago. Putting my hands at 9 and 3 on the wheel there is a small amount of play when wiggling on the wheel.

Does that point to a bad wheel bearing and hub assembly or something else?

How about 12-6?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Putting hands on 12 and 6 and wiggling, I do get some play also but I would say a bit more play with 9 and 3 if that makes any sense.

12-6 is the hub, 9-3 is the tie rod (or other steering components), as a general rule of thumb. There is always a "little" play in the steering. 12-6 should not move at all.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am going to revise my results. Jacked up both sides, one at a time. There is definite movement at 9-3 on both driver and passenger side, but nearly no movement at 12-6.

On the 9-3 movement, you can slightly hear metal to metal contact when wiggling.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little more at 9-3 makes sense if your tie rods are a bit worn but like @HiHoeSilver said, there shouldn't be anything noticeable at 12-6. Most likely your hubs need replacing, and afterwards check 3-9 again to see about steering components.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little more at 9-3 makes sense if your tie rods are a bit worn but like @HiHoeSilver said, there shouldn't be anything noticeable at 12-6. Most likely your hubs need replacing, and afterwards check 3-9 again to see about steering components.

Could this be a bad ball joint?

Replacing the hubs a do-it-yourself task?

Would worn hubs or bad tie rods cause a vibration when driving?

Last edited:
OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really not looking forward to a trial and error on replacing parts to find the actual problem.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really not looking forward to a trial and error on replacing parts to find the actual problem.
You can take it to a shop for an estimate and they should be able to diagnose it for you, then tell them you need to wait on the repairs. Sometimes there's a small charge for this, sometimes not. Then replace the parts yourself. Of course if it turns out to be steering components you'll end up needing an alignment afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts