Front Door speaker installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowrhadur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2002 Gmc Yukon 2wd Non Bose 102,000 miles prettywell stock.

Replaced the front door speakers in our yukon.
Factory paper speakers were not much more than
frame and dust.

For reference here is a breakdown of what wire is what. I found this on the forum here and this is what i went by. Everything seems to be right.
LF,- gray
LF,+tan
RF,-dark green
RF,+light green
RR,-light blue
RR,+dark blue
LR,-yellow
LR,+brown
Batt,Orange
Ignition,dark green
These are off the bigger plug

There is anouther plug with
dark green/white
pink
gray
dark green/white
brown/white
black/white
black
dark green
orange
this is for your remote cd/tape if you have one.

Remove window switches. Should pop right out if not, carefully use a small flathead screwdriver.
Unplug all wiring.
IMG_0633.jpg
There are 2 screws that hold the door in place. (one behind controls and one above door handle. Remove these and panel will slide right up.
IMG_0633.jpg
Once panel is off, you will need to unplug the tweeter and light.
IMG_0602.jpg
Next you will remove the factory speaker.
IMG_0604.jpg
I am installing a componet set so this install is a bit different from a coaxil setup. If you were installing coaxil's you would just mark and drill your holes, install the speaker and put everything back together.
The speakers i am installing are a 6 3/4" (oversized 6.5") kicker ds65.2
11ds652.jpg
I removed the screen on the door panel, removed and modified the factory tweeter bracket, installed the new tweeter.
IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0601.jpg
I chose to mount my driver side crossover under the dash above the ebrake release.IMG_0616.jpg
I started by fishing a piece of 12gauge solid copper through the wire loom going from the door to the cab. put a bend on the end of the wire and it will make for good fishing.IMG_0606.jpg Use a flathead screwdriver to pop loose the loom where it connects to the cab.IMG_0605.jpgwork the copper wire up to the other end of the loom. IMG_0609.jpgfish your wires through the hole in the door, tie them to the copper wire and pull them into the door.IMG_0612.jpgfrom there hook up your factory speaker wire to the line side of the crossover and hook your componet speakers up to indicated wires.

will update this when i have more time.

OP
OP
L

lowrhadur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have more to post on this install. I will do the same when I replace the rear door speakers, pillar speakers, and factory subwoofer.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

lowrhadur said:
I have more to post on this install. I will do the same when I replace the rear door speakers, pillar speakers, and factory subwoofer.

Will be a few days before I finish it up as I lost a close friend last night. I will finish it up soon though

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you planning on using for a replacement subwoofer?

I have not found a subwoofer to fit into the stock housing yet.

Most time the aftermarket sub is too deep.

:cheers:

OP
OP
L

lowrhadur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced the sub with a 8" RE Audio DVC 4ohm. Had to take the rubber trim ring off the sub and trim about 1/4 of an inch all the way around the sub. Siliconed the opening really good and mounted the sub. Took about an hour. Sounds WAAAAY better than the factory sub. No depth issues but wish I would have spent a few extra bucks and gotten a little better sub

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is nice to hear that it sounds much better than the factory sub.

I want to do something with the sub for sure in my truck.

I have a 4 channel 400W amp I am thinking about putting in and powering the front doors and rear doors.

Not sure what to do with sub yet.

How much did that sub cost ya?

OP
OP
L

lowrhadur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ryan.m. said:
Well that is nice to hear that it sounds much better than the factory sub.

I want to do something with the sub for sure in my truck.

I have a 4 channel 400W amp I am thinking about putting in and powering the front doors and rear doors.

Not sure what to do with sub yet.

How much did that sub cost ya?

Just under 50.00 shipped.

S.L.A.B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do those kickers sound compaired to stock bose? im debating between these and focal 165a1's

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

How do these kickers compair to stock bose? im debateing onn these and focal 165a1's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401