front diff problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nascarguy3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I was driving my truck in 4x4 mod yesterday and I was backing the truck up into the drive way, the front diff when I was turning felt like it was binding up and it sounded like one of the tires chirped when I was in the drive way, so I was thinking that the front diff is going out or a bad axle in the front, and ideas..

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this on dry pavement? If so this wouldn't be abnormal. But it's not good either.

Not all 4x4's are designed to be driven in 4wd all the time. That would take a special transfer case to relieve the tension in the driveline created by the tires turning at different rates. I'm not 100% familiar with the GM drive train of this era but I'll guess that it doesn't have one of these systems.

Generally unless you have a vehicle that is designed for that then you should only use 4wd on gravel, snow or even in the rain. The reduced friction created by those surfaces will allow the tires to "slip" and relive the tension easier. If you continue to do it on dry pavement you risk breaking something.

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep if it was dry, or you had good traction period, one wheel turned faster and bound up the other, the chirp was it relieving the bind. not good on the front end.

OP
OP
nascarguy3

nascarguy3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it was on dry ground so is there any thing that I can do for it, plus I dont drive in 4x4 mod all the time just once or twice a month for a day or two.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
There isn't really anything you can do for it. It's just something any 4x4 will will do. Personally I only use 4x4 when it raining or too muddy to get my truck across the property. Also even if its wet I put it in 2x4 before I turn sharp to back into a parking spot, I think it's easier on the truck that way.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's normal, the solution is don't drive in 4x4 unless it is snowy, muddy or some other condition in which the tires can slip easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DBPA2024