Front Brake Rotor Set Screw - Front Suspension Part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am changing the front rotors and pads and noticed that single little set screw that attaches the rotor to the spindle is missing. Any side affects of not having the set screw in there?

IMG_3530_zpshqz00oyz.jpg

Also, what is this part called with the grease fitting on it? Look worn out? I am able to wiggle it back and forth a bit by hand.

IMG_3529_zpsrbjvymol.jpg

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
No ill effects by not having the screw in the rotor, it is mainly there for when it is going down the assembly line. When the wheel is bolted on the rotor is held flush without it.

That is your outer tie rod end. It should not be real loose.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean it moves a little if I tug it back and forth. It also needs more grease. Thanks for the set screw answer.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It should have some play because it is a swivel joint, like a heim joint/ball and socket.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The missing set screw is absolutely NOTHING to worry about. The previous body style does not even have set screws on the rotors. I upgraded my 2001 to the 07+ front brakes and I was wondering why they had those screw holes in the rotors, now I know lol.
But seriously, the wheel bolted on is more than enough to hold the rotors in place. You will be fine.
And that tie rod should not have excessive play in it. You should be able to rock or tilt it side to side, but if it easily wiggles or wobbles in every direction VERY easily, then it should definitely be replaced ASAP. But by looking at the picture, I can't tell if the rubber boot is torn, or if someone just pumped way too much grease in it and it's all oozing out the bottom. If that boot is torn or split, I would replace it.