Foggy / Dirty Projector Lens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SubSonic

SubSonic

Reaction score
Just an update, brought it to the dealer--they are replacing the headlights. They had to order the parts, so they are keeping it overnight. Hopefully I will have it back sometime tomorrow. A little annoying because they had no loaners, so I have to catch rides to and from work.

But hopefully night visibility will be increased, because that was something that I found really disappointing coming off a 2014 Camaro SS/RS with the stock HID projectors. We have a 2018 Mazda 3 with halogen projectors that blew these halogen projectors out of the water. It would be awesome if it was just a bad set.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear they’re replacing them for you.

I bet you’d get better light output and depth from your low beam projectors with an HID kit over the LED’s. Even though LED bulbs can be bright, they don’t have as much throw or distance that they are able to project their light. Unless it’s a headlight housing/projector specifically designed for LED.

OP
OP
SubSonic

SubSonic

Reaction score
Well it's half done--they were able to source the driver's light locally and got it installed. But the passenger side is coming in from Michigan--which is a little amusing because they assemble these trucks up the street. So I've got it back until the second light comes in.

Thing is, they didn't bother aiming the new light so it's pointed way down. Any one know how to do height adjustment on the 15-18 lights? I found the screw for the L and R adjustment, but can't seem to find the height adjustment.

Good to hear they’re replacing them for you.

I bet you’d get better light output and depth from your low beam projectors with an HID kit over the LED’s. Even though LED bulbs can be bright, they don’t have as much throw or distance that they are able to project their light. Unless it’s a headlight housing/projector specifically designed for LED.

Definitely considered it. I've done plenty of HIDs and BiXenon projector retros in other vehicles--but don't want to tear up the housing for a full retro until out of warranty. Do these halogen projectors hold up OK to HIDs in the long term--I know some vehicle have issues with heat and the reflector bowl.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the "L" is for lower and the "R" is for raise. There is no left-right adjustment that I know of.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's half done--they were able to source the driver's light locally and got it installed. But the passenger side is coming in from Michigan--which is a little amusing because they assemble these trucks up the street. So I've got it back until the second light comes in.

That's great! That means that they have another chance to break more clips holding your front bumper on...

(Hopefully not, though)

OP
OP
SubSonic

SubSonic

Reaction score
I think that the "L" is for lower and the "R" is for raise. There is no left-right adjustment that I know of.
Well I'll be damned--guess I'm not smart enough for this truck.

That's great! That means that they have another chance to break more clips holding your front bumper on...

(Hopefully not, though)

You're not wrong... I have plenty of experience with dealer induced damage.

On a side note--the new light has a little bit of smudging on the projector lense--but it's still better than either of the originals. Seems like they have a bit of a QC issue. Once they get the other one replaced I'm calling it good enough because chances are the replacements could be worse.