Fixing up the Old Tahoe 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a Chevy Girl, I have a 1972 Vette, 2011 Camaro SS and a 2003 Tahoe LS 5.3. My son is heading to college next year, so instead of getting a new car I have decided to fix the Tahoe back up. Getting her painted next in 10 days and I need to make some decisions. Any suggestions? She is pretty plain Jane. Over the years I added chrome door handles and stainless steel wheel well trim and a stainless steel bug deflector. I have a dent in my rear bumper and want to replace it. Not sure of all these price differences I am seeing though. 250 to 500 listing for standard to premium, but they really don't say if the chrome is better or what really is the difference in the prices. Should I leave the belt molding off? Should I change the hood? I like the cowl hoods, but will it fit right? I also want to change the plain black running board to come I have seen that have stainless steel around them. Then I need some new rims, choices... choices! 2.png

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Is it for your son to just use for college, and you want to make it look nice? Or does he really like it where he'll keep it for as long as possible? There's so many choices to make. If it was me--def a cowl or HD hood. If you want the cowl hood, go with a good company such as Goodmark. I've heard they're panels fit pretty good. Cheaper isn't always the best. Belt mouldings off look great, but people are careless and tend to bang into your ride without a second thought, so he'll probably be parking alot in parking lots--maybe leave those on. If he likes chrome and you want to change the rear bumper, just get another chrome one, to me they're all the same. Just beware of the cheap Chinese ones. If you live in the rust belt it may start to rust pretty quick. You could also look into the Z71 bumpers--non chrome and are painted body color. I also have an 03 Tahoe that I did a few things to. I have a Denali rear bumper cover and an HD hood. I have a build page if you want to check it out.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely lots of upgrades that are fairly easy to do. Looks like pure on the right track! I think the HD good looks good on these trucks. Not so much a fan of the cowl hoods, but that’s just me.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will check out the HD hoods, I just wanted something different not so plain like the OEM and since I am getting ready to paint it I figured that would be the best time. The paint had started sheeting and popping off other wise it was still pretty decent. The paintshop that has it said that year had some bad primer and he would have to take it down to the metal. My bumper has a small dent in it, someone must have done it in a parking lot. I want a nice one, my original has no rust, just the dent and faded pads. The prices are so different ranging 200 to 500. I just wish they would explain the difference a little more. I like high quality chrome, but they aren't saying that its any better than the cheaper ones.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Do you have a suggestion on a good chrome bumper. I like the OEM but I would like to make sure it is a good quality chrome and I hate to spend 500 on the same bumper that I could get for 250 to 300.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before I sold my nbs it had a small dent in the rear bumper and it was like that when I had bought it, it wasn't bad but if I was ever going to replace it I had found this package, I like it because it has everything, even if the brackets are not needed it still has all the new rubber covers and a new license plate light, it seems like a decent deal for the money with free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Step-...R-2000-2006-Suburban-Tahoe-Yukon/351162124697

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and to be honest with chrome bumpers your never going to notice the difference between oem or aftermarket, some of the plastic trim yes, bumper it's self no.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool, thanks I will check it out.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
and to be honest with chrome bumpers your never going to notice the difference between oem or aftermarket, some of the plastic trim yes, bumper it's self no.
What about head lights who makes a pair that don't accumulate water? I am staying with the original style. Its just that all the reviews I am reading on them always have one person saying they leak and this is all different brands. Are there any that don't leak?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ojb226

Latest posts