Running boards squeaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My driver side running boards on my 2021 Tahoe HC squeak both going down and coming back up. I've tried spraying regular oil and penetrating oil to no avail. The noise will temporarily go away if I spray it hard with a hose or if the car washer hits it with the spray, but it always comes back relatively quickly. Is anyone else having this problem and, if so, do you have a way to fix it?

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the pivots need some grease applied to them. Not sure how difficult that will be though as i dont have the retractable running boards.

OP
OP
J

JKeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll climb under there and see if I can find a grease point.

Reaction score
There's probably dirt stuck in there. On mine i would lower them and clean them with the pressure washer. Then grease them up when dry.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wife's denali has the same issue

While it was in the dealer for a different issue I mentioned it. Per the dealer you need to lubricate the running boards; they said to make sure I mentioned it when they did the oil changes so they could ensure it happens :). They lubed the boards and have been quite since.

OP
OP
J

JKeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wife's denali has the same issue

While it was in the dealer for a different issue I mentioned it. Per the dealer you need to lubricate the running boards; they said to make sure I mentioned it when they did the oil changes so they could ensure it happens :). They lubed the boards and have been quite since.
Did they tell you where to lubricate them? I have tried spraying the joints/brackets periodically but it doesn't seem to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz