Exhaust Headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
97 Tahoe, 2 Door, 5.7L Vortec, 4x4, 6" lift.
It has a dual exhaust installed by amateur monkeys. So, I'd like to have a good exhaust set-up put in by professionals.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a company that makes a stainless steel mid or long header set that works in our rigs (no issues with starter, suspension, or frame etc.). Also, would like to know a good muffler set up with a deep throaty sound , but not overly loud?
Please and Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I guess no one has Headers on their Tahoe's!? I checked several well known manufacturers, Doug Thorley, ******, and others. None listed headers for a 1997 Tahoe. WhaSup with that?

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dub, thanks much for replying back. I never thought about Summit. I'm looking for stainless steel and mid-length to long headers. Those SS Summits looked perfect, however, after checking fitment, they won't work. Tried several of the other options, but they didn't work either. Best I found was non-stainless shorty's. Back to square one...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dub, thanks much for replying back. I never thought about Summit. I'm looking for stainless steel and mid-length to long headers. Those SS Summits looked perfect, however, after checking fitment, they won't work. Tried several of the other options, but they didn't work either. Best I found was non-stainless shorty's. Back to square one...

What about them wouldn't work? I have to question this, especially after finding inaccuracies with Amazon and eBay's fitment guides.

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about them wouldn't work? I have to question this, especially after finding inaccuracies with Amazon and eBay's fitment guides.
I honestly do not know. I typed in the vehicle info they asked for and at the end, the message was, This does not fit your vehicle...
I do not have an exhaust wizard where I live. That's why it is imperative to have a set of headers that will slip in and not cause fitment issues that require the headers to be cut and modified. I was really hoping someone on the blog had first-hand knowledge of a header that worked well for them (all things equal).

Thanks again!

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have stainless JBA shorty headers on my 1998 2 door 4wd. Matches up perfectly with the hi flow cat/y pipe from Magna flow that I have. The first set of JBA's I bought had ****** welds with holes in them. Good thing I noticed before installing. Returned and exchanged for new ones. No problem. After installing these (replaced factory exhaust manifolds), the engine compartment is noticeably hotter. I wish I would have wrapped the shorty headers with that wrap from DEI. This was 2016 when I did this. I remember not being able to find long tube headers to fit my application.

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That information is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. After, not coming up with any great choices for headers and knowing about willxfs heat gain issue, I have decided to ditch the idea of going to headers.

I have a stock Vortec 5.7 and can't see that the little bit of Hp gain ain't worth the money, hassle, and issues with headers. Looks like a good cat-back system is where I am going...
I appreciate everyone's input!

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That information is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. After, not coming up with any great choices for headers and knowing about willxfs heat gain issue, I have decided to ditch the idea of going to headers.

I have a stock Vortec 5.7 and can't see that the little bit of Hp gain ain't worth the money, hassle, and issues with headers. Looks like a good cat-back system is where I am going...
I appreciate everyone's input!
Hi
I'm late to the game. As usual. Ha

I have the same setup in my 97 Yukon.

Shorties are pretty much your go to.
Tuned length performance wont fit unless you drop your front driveshaft.

Lcm truck do Hedman Headers.
These are shorties with 3" coĺlectors that have a 3" performance tube or balance pipe that connects the headers together producing 1 3" collector out to either a high flow cat then exhaust or your choice of rear piping.

You can get your headers ceramic coated.
A powder coater will do this.
It will create performance by keeping the heat inside the pipe and dropping engine compartment heat.

I'll see if i can track them down and I'll post em up for you.

Cheers Tony

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230709-060642_Chrome.jpgI think these would be a Yeah Boi!! Change in performance for your rig!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts