Exhaust fumes and sound coming from intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it won't run? I missed that in the post.

yeah, you got something very wrong. is one engine a 24x and the other a 58x?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why was the engine replaced? Did the old engine die?

Did the old engine perhaps clog the catalytic converters when it died?

Now the new engine can't get rid of the exhaust gas. That would explain why there is smoke from the intake area and why it stops running.

Because if it doesn't get rid of the exhaust gases it can't form an ignitable mixture and the engine will stop.

I would just separate the catalytic converters from the exhaust manifold and let the engine run without the catalytic converters and see if it runs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now the new engine can't get rid of the exhaust gas. That would explain why there is smoke from the intake area and why it stops running.

Because if it doesn't get rid of the exhaust gases it can't form an ignitable mixture and the engine will stop.

I would just separate the catalytic converters from the exhaust manifold and let the engine run without the catalytic converters and see if it runs.
I think it is just the tune, you can't take a different model motor and slap it in another vehicle with just a dod delete in the tune, if it was the same model motor (same 8th vin digit) then yes you could but otherwise the tune has to be changed for the motor going in.
for instance pretty sure you can take a motor out of a pickup and put in a suv straight swap (or vica-versa) as long as the 8th vin digit matches. the ecu tune is the same.
am I correct? @BlackBearPerf

OP
OP
C

codyclark65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

The old engine did indeed die

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is just the tune, you can't take a different model motor and slap it in another vehicle with just a dod delete in the tune, if it was the same model motor (same 8th vin digit) then yes you could but otherwise the tune has to be changed for the motor going in.
for instance pretty sure you can take a motor out of a pickup and put in a suv straight swap (or vica-versa) as long as the 8th vin digit matches. the ecu tune is the same.
am I correct? @BlackBearPerf
But the engine starts and runs, but not long, might be that the tune is not correct, even if he wrote on the first page, that he made the tune for the vvt engine.

By the way, what is a vvt engine?

And the fact that white steam comes out of the intakes make me think, that there is something wrong with the flow of intakte air into engine and proceed to exhaust.

I had once a BMW engine which was not running, after I swapped the engine, I checked everything and searched a long time.

There where not error codes. And it was the same behaviour. The engine started, runs for a few seconds and died.

The ECM don't realize that there is exhaust in the combustion chamber and no chance to have combustion, due to the lack of oxygen.

And it's very easy to check, just unscrew the cats and let the engine run, only with exhaust manifold, when the engine runs, enjoy the sound :Big Laugh: and you know where the problem is.

Maybe a lot of oil got into the catalytic converters when the old engine died and clogged them. Or the old engine was not broken, only the cats were clogged.. :oops:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the engine starts and runs, but not long, might be that the tune is not correct, even if he wrote on the first page, that he made the tune for the vvt engine.

By the way, what is a vvt engine?

And the fact that white steam comes out of the intakes make me think, that there is something wrong with the flow of intakte air into engine and proceed to exhaust.

I had once a BMW engine which was not running, after I swapped the engine, I checked everything and searched a long time.

There where not error codes. And it was the same behaviour. The engine started, runs for a few seconds and died.

The ECM don't realize that there is exhaust in the combustion chamber and no chance to have combustion, due to the lack of oxygen.

And it's very easy to check, just unscrew the cats and let the engine run, only with exhaust manifold, when the engine runs, enjoy the sound :Big Laugh: and you know where the problem is.

Maybe a lot of oil got into the catalytic converters when the old engine died and clogged them. Or the old engine was not broken, only the cats were clogged.. :oops:
different engines may have a different firing order, and various other things that if being commanded to do something else it may try to start but won't run or only for a moment, etc
it also was connected to a different transmission, so anyway just speculating I am no expert by any means

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

impressed. last thing I'd have ever guessed. the old engine must have died a horrible death for a long slow time haha.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update I unhooked one of the cats from the manifold and it cranks and idles good
The 2008s injectors are smaller compared to your 2010 regardless if it's a FlexFuel engine or not. The 2008 has higher compression as it uses flat top pistons and a single pattern camshaft.

If this was my rig, I'd swap the 2010s injectors overs, well, the whole intake and throttle body too. Then I would have BlackBear properly tune it.

As for the old engine, it might be worth its weight in gold someday, I'd stick it in the corner of the garage.

So if I'm reading the conclusion correct, the truck needs new cats? If so, don't get cheap Chicom cats, at the very least Walker Dynomax, I went with Maganflow Y-Pipe and Cats when an AFM failure took my cats out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev