Excessive Rear Drum Heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So..I got a 97 4wd tahoe with a 10 bolt gm (i believe) 8.5 differential. Has rear drums. Noticed rear axle bearing seal leaking. Replaced the seal and shoes and bearing. Drove a hundred miles. (Didnt clean the oily drum that well) Noticed lotta heat and burning axle grease smell coming from the rear drum where the seal/bearing was replaced. Took it to a shop. They thoroughly cleaned and resurfaced the drums..turns out my axle was bent on the leaking side. Which most likely is the main cause of the leaking seal. So after replacing the bent axle and a new seal, i picked it up today drove about five miles home. Checked the heat on the wheel where the repair was done . And i can feel slight heat on the wheel to touch..Where the exact opposite side is cool to touch. Could this be from axle oil SOAKED in the shoes left over in the drum prior to the cleaning by the shop. Might the heat wear off after wearing into the shoes and this is normal or is there something else that could be the problem. Thanks People ..Amen

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me after getting my drums cut. Took a couple of passes to clean up one of the drums. After a short 50 mile trip both of my rear rims were hot. I think I adjusted the shoes too tight. Ended up buying new drums a short time later. All is good again. I still need to get the brakes and ABS bled properly as I suspect I have air in my ABS unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts