Enough on lifted suspensions! What do ya'll think about the stock suspension? Capable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Alright, there's a lot of talk about different lifted set ups. I'm curious to know what ya'lls opinion is about the stock suspension. Do you think it's fairly capable? I'm only asking because I have a long way to go to save up for a new suspension so I'm going for a 3inch body lift soon to fit some 285's BFG all-terrains on.

Let's hear it!!

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Will be fine. I run 33s on 3in body lift but had to trim fenders and still rub when heavy offroading

Berserker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I honestly can't stand the Independent Front Suspension setup GM started using. I'll take solid axle with leaf springs over a-arm and torsion bars anyday. Not ideal for real offroading.

As for the 3" body lift... It should fit 33's with a little rubbing so you might get lucky. I hate the body lift on mine as you see way too much frame rail under it. But no matter what kind of lift body or suspension, you will still have something hanging down either the frame or torsion bars, crossmembers etc. Kinda why I prefer solid axles.

OP
OP
jbuck07

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, anybody in their right mind would prefer an SAS over an IFS. I would swap mine if I had the money for sure. But I don't think that will happen...I'm not lookin to do some crazy off reading, just hitting some trails here and there to get off the beaten path

Berserker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, anybody in their right mind would prefer an SAS over an IFS. I would swap mine if I had the money for sure. But I don't think that will happen...I'm not lookin to do some crazy off reading, just hitting some trails here and there to get off the beaten path

For sure. I wish I had the time and money to put a solid front axle in my rig. Maybe some day I'll just go completely nuts and put a 2 door Tahoe body on an old K5 frame.

Anyways... If you put on the 285's with the body lift you might rub a tiny bit. My worn down 33's didn't until I got brand new ones with full tread. I cranked the torsion keys a bit until I got a leveling kit. They clear with no problem now.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SAS vs. IFS is no contest. We all know that.

Jbuck07, what are you looking to do with the truck? Mild stuff, you should be fine. If planning on hardcore it will not be so good.

OP
OP
jbuck07

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naw man, nothing to hardcore. Just maybe hitting up some easy trails to get out in the woods or whatever. Not looking to do rock crawling or serious stuff like that