Engine replacement labor costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I often don't value myself enough. With bigger side hustles over the weekend (auto mechanics or not), I aim for $1K a day. I'll take $900/day playing in my own shop doing something fairly routine.

2. This sort of job is kinda fun and I have a 2-post lift and chainfall that make it all a one-man affair. Plus I've done it a few times and have some methods to make it flow. Hell, I even have markings on the floor outlining the balance points of a Tahoe with and without an engine. :yaoface2:

3. All that's needed tool-wise are full ratchet and wrench sets, some impact sockets, torque wrenches, protractor, 3-jaw puller, metric ruler, some screwdrivers (mostly as small pry tools), some Torx drivers and a bungee cord.

I'm not saying your quote is high and you're saying my quote is low. I'm agreeing. :yaoface2:

I wish one of you weekend warriors were close enough to do mine for me. Especially you Chris. I'd gladly pay you that and more.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in 2012, I paid $6500 (parts and labor) for a GM reman with a 100,000 mile warranty in our 2007 Denali. With inflation the way it’s been, $10K doesn’t seem too far out of line, but still it’s enough to give a guy pause.
For 10k, I'd just look down south or out west for a rust free, lower mileage unit and move on. Maybe you could find someone who want to part out yours, or do it yourself and recoup some of the loss?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 10k, I'd just look down south or out west for a rust free, lower mileage unit and move on. Maybe you could find someone who want to part out yours, or do it yourself and recoup some of the loss?

In my case mine is totally rust free, but I have thought about going down that road. This has me really stressed out.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case mine is totally rust free, but I have thought about going down that road. This has me really stressed out.
What about FB marketplace for someone parting out a truck? Or, maybe finding a wrecked lower mileage one and stealing anything of value off it and junking the rest? Not sure what your scope of operations are, but could work as well.

Totally sucks though, I would feel the same. Especially being a clean truck with lots of years left in it.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Shit for 10k, I hope that includes the engine?!
I remember a brand-new GM long block was like 8k back in 2021.
I could have had a 6.0 or 6.2, but I don't believe a 5.3 was an option.

With that little sale they were having, I picked up a 6.0 block that doesn't even have provisions for the AFM function, towers are there but not drilled.

I forget how much I'm into my engine for, but It got close to that "could have gotten a brand new 6.2 long block" price.
Good learning experience for me, it worked out in the end but I nearly went bankrupt for a bit there, also mentally. :jester: :jester: :emotions133:

Since I like sharing this picture when talking about AFM and engine work,
*AFM, what's that?*
1708646362797.png
(Notice no holes in those towers)

And since I can't plan for shit, I also ended up with some "gucci" cylinder heads to lower the compression.

1708646499526.png

Most expensive project of my life, but holly fk this thing pulls hard.
Powerband like a two stroke dirtbike when using the 5.3 stock timing.
6.2 timing and it just pulls hard everywhere, but still has a nice powerband.

I learned more than I ever wanted to know about it, but now I feel like I mostly know what I'm doing.
:jester:

I don't think I'll ever do more than a stock build ever again.
But that LS stroker crank keeps tempting me to go from 6.0 to 6.6l! :ehcapt::ehcapt::buttkick:

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my 6.2 long block with 50k on it for $3500 a couple years back. I would be amazed if a shop only charged 2500 to swap it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667