engine coolant flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwedeBurban

Reaction score
Hi,

Its time to do a engine coolant flush on my 5.3 2011.
Can I usa any red coolant fluid and mix it whit the rest in the engine?
Or I´m stuck whit the dexcool?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That'll work fine. Some like to drain the coolant and refill with water, drive around, drain and repeat until the water comes out clear and then fill with 50/50 Dex-Cool and water. Total capacity like the guy said is about 4-1/2 gallons.

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
As long as you completely flush the system you can use whatever you want.

I have heard that so many times too. Only real difference is the level of corrosiveness. its less with dexcool, so its easier on the aluminum parts. thats all that i could find on the topic. anyone else hear anything to support/confirm or to add to the reasons why Dexcool is recommended?

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.thoughtco.com/antifreeze-red-or-green-262558

@Sgtduckyboy

From my experience, DexCool presents a problem only in certain, specific applications.

For the 800 & 900 series GM, DexCool poses no threat assuming the system in question is at least moderately maintained and/or in proper working condition.

Other makes do not fare so well when operated with Dex, mostly due to engine design. You can have a well-maintained example and depending what materials are used and where, the problems are unavoidable. One famous example is the 1998-2004 Land Rover. But that $hit can of a poor investment had all kinds of underlying issues and a porous engine block to begin with but its the 1st thing that came to mind. Most didn't make it to 100k miles before the head gaskets failed and many a tech made their bones on a LR HG job at $2500 out the door.

My point is that their would be common knowledge of any downsides whatsoever, using or continuing to run these GMs on the factory spec' chemicals. At least from what I can tell. I'm only on my 1st, personally, but my folks & extended fam have been driving them for the last 15-years on nothing but oil changes and they have just kept on going like the enrgizer bunny. Coolant spec & type (Dex vs. Conv.) will in no way determine the length of service life in this application.

The posted link elaborates & supports your statement about DexCool. It is basically a modern solution to an outdated chemical that is ethylene glycol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris709

Latest posts