emissions FAIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wilmas4life

Reaction score
hey everyone.. I have a problem... I took my truck into a smog test shop and it failed due to the MIL/check engine light:supergay:. It passed all other tests just fine. I am not sure what the cause of it is...but the guy at the shop said drive it for about 100 miles and come back...i have read on google that people have had the same problem but sometimes driving the 100 or so miles hardly ever fixed the problem. i havent found a answer to a fix..I know my Check Engine Light(in the dash) does not light up at all when i turn the key or anything. but i ran a code scanner and the scanner says that the light is not on(i.e. No codes or reasons for the light to be on) ...So basicly what im asking is do i need to drive the thing for a 100 miles or so? or do i need to replace the bulb for it to pass? Thx for any advice/help from everyone

Would a Moderater please move this to the Gen discussion section.. Sorry for posting in the wrong section

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If your bulb does not light up at start up for a moment then your bulb or bulb circuit is at fault. You can be failed if the test cannot verify a properly functioning light. Check your gauge and igntion fuses any way but your lamp may be broken. It may have been listed on your report as on becuase in did not have an preset entry for bulb failure.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Driving doesn't fix it.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. California is strict with that crap, and a smog pro can lose his license for passing car with a CEL/SES light that doesn't work regardless of how well every other test went, even if you're not throwing a code.

In August, went to smog my RX-7, and failed because the bulb did not light up during the bulb test prior to starting the car. Dude let me borrow his tools, took a working bulb from the "Buckle Your Seatbelt" light circuit, swapped it in, it lit up before ignition, started the car, it went off as it was suppposed and it passed.

OP
OP
W

wilmas4life

Reaction score
well i found a place that will replace the bulb for $50. first place i went to wanted $130
and 3 hours...i damn near pissed myself laughing at him. and moved on...second guy said about an hour.

OP
OP
W

wilmas4life

Reaction score
it hasnt been done yet.. I am just scared of breaking a clip or cracking my dash. i figure if he breaks it i can make him replace it :)..i would try it but just cant find anything that shows me in enough detail for me to feel comfortable doing it..and thats just the dash.. if i was to try it what bulb would i use? get a new one? upgraded to LED? (if possible because i have a red LED set coming in). or like Grim said take the bulb from the seat belt light? i want to try and get this done today b4 work so i can smog and all that shyt. any further adivice is appreciated

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts