Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have been dealing with a few electrical issues since I bought my 2008 Denali. It's all intermittent, which makes me think I have a bad ground I can't find. Here are a few things going on:
  • Intermittent message for StabiliTrak and traction control being off
  • TPMS gives me an error to check tire pressure and the pressure fluctuates between 1 and 99 psi
  • Remote start sometimes will not work
  • When driving, sometimes I will lose power to all electrical in the truck, but there is no noticeable loss in engine power. When I stop it won't turn on at all like it's dead. If I wait about 20 minutes, it fires right up like nothing happened.
  • Yesterday, driving on the highway, the loss of electrical happened and the truck was having trouble finding gears and was downshifting.
All of this happens intermittently, and infrequently. Most of the time, the truck drives just fine, but it's becoming a hassle.

dreww2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had tons of electrical issues with mine it may be just a car that was possessed from day one or a design issue that was worked out I had gauge cluster go out, radio stop working, heat seats stop working, memory seat can be funny some times and the tire system too

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
So after checking into this a little further, I think it's most likely the same issue others had with the negative battery cable. Does anyone know a part number on that or where to get a better aftermarket option? My tools are all being shipped across the country right now, so I'm limited on what I can do.

07 Denali Xl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after checking into this a little further, I think it's most likely the same issue others had with the negative battery cable. Does anyone know a part number on that or where to get a better aftermarket option? My tools are all being shipped across the country right now, so I'm limited on what I can do.
So what did you figure out? This is similar to my 07 Denali Xl issue. Mine is dead right now.
Did you figure this out?

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
So what did you figure out? This is similar to my 07 Denali Xl issue. Mine is dead right now.

Did you figure this out?

I haven't, but I'm almost positive it's the negative battery cable. I'm in temp corporate housing right now, so I just parked it and I'm driving my car for now. I'll let you know when I get a chance to look. I'm planning on just putting in a 4 AWG wire with new connectors.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Does anyone know the following:

• How long is the ground cable?
  • What size are the connectors?
  • What size wrench is needed to remove the cable?
I'm going to try changing it without someone giving me a hassle, but don't have any of my tools yet.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
OK, so the Denali has been fine for the last week, so I decided to drive it to work. It drove fine, no issues until I was about 2 miles from home on the highway. I got a "Service Charging System Warning" so I tried to make it to the next exit. Before I made it, the electrical completely died and it wouldn't shift. About 30 seconds later, on the exit ramp, it completely died and wouldn't do anything.

A buddy came out with a pack and we got it started using that, but as soon as he disconnected it, the truck died. We hooked it up enough to get it off the ramp and into a parking lot, but it's sitting now with the same issue. I'm thinking it might be the alternator, and now battery. Not sure if the ground was ever an issue, or if it caused the issue.

I'll be going back out today after work to check everything out. Anything I should check or look for before throwing in a new battery/alternator?

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery was fine before or it wouldnt restart after it sat. Likely its just dead now from not getting a charge. Put it on a charger and it'll run off the battery until it dies again. While its running I'd bet your voltage is less than 12. Alternator is definitely either bad now, or truck has a bad connection somewhere not allowing it to recharge properly. Check positive from alt to battery for corrosion and tightness. This wire also contains a fusible link internally, or at least the older ones did. Can check for continuity between both ends of cable. Then check ground wire for any issues. The main one from battery to wherever it goes. There is also a ground strap that goes from the post just below the windshield to the rear of the engine that has a habit of getting loose and causing issues. I bet something just went from loose (intermittent issues) to very loose. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

The battery was working with zero issues other than the gremlins earlier, but I've never had to jump it or charge it. I'm going to grab the battery out of my other truck tonight and see what it does. I'll check all of your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for replacing the cables, just go ahead and do the big 3. buy some welding cable in 0 Guage and some solder on connectors. I ran a few extra ground straps as well. this will help alittle in all your electronics even if you don't realize it right away. and it is cheap future protection. as for your other issues, I don't think they are all related to just 1 problem but a few small problems. definitely test the alternator and charge your battery. definitely do a continuity test on your cables. check your starter solenoid to see if it is bad. gm decided not to put a heat sheild on them for the nnbs trucks and they get very hot. mine was semi melted but worked occasionally. the remote start will not work if the CEL is on. the stabilitrack and tire pressure messages sound like a bad wheel hub to me. when mine went out the tpms went crazy right before the hub falied. it didn't make any noise prior to failing. none of the testing requires any money whatsoever if you have a good multimeter. if you need help just ask here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9