Ebay reverse camera install write-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dropmech

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
Can the reverse wire be spliced to the trailer harness?

That I'm not sure of. I think the only time you have constant power going to the trailer harness is when you have your lights on. Other than that, I believe the wires aren't hot until a ground is provided either thru actuating the brake or a turn signal. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you guys are talking about the 7 pin harness:

Constant 12V
Ground
Reverse lights
Left turn
Right turn
Parking lights
Trailer brake power

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone on here good at fixing electronic stuff? got one of these from denaliak and the screen won't work.

OP
OP
dropmech

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
anyone on here good at fixing electronic stuff? got one of these from denaliak and the screen won't work.

You first need to find out if power is getting beyond the box, then to the screen. Check point to ground with power applied to the harness. If' you're getting power all the way up to the screen, then it's probably the screen that's messed up. Not sure what you would do at that point.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You first need to find out if power is getting beyond the box, then to the screen. Check point to ground with power applied to the harness. If' you're getting power all the way up to the screen, then it's probably the screen that's messed up. Not sure what you would do at that point.

yeah, there is power getting up to the screen. i was able to diagnose that part. just wish i knew enough about the circuitry to find out why the screen isn't working.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't figure mine out, either. It worked for like ten minutes. Then it was sort of random and intermittent. Now it just doesn't have anything on the screen. Wish I had another monitor I could hook it to to see if that is indeed the problem.

Dropmech--Do you think that the image from the camera would show on another screen hooked up via the S-video connector? Maybe you could check since you are the only one with a working unit....lol.

If it'll work, I may just find some other monitor as an alternative.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't figure mine out, either. It worked for like ten minutes. Then it was sort of random and intermittent. Now it just doesn't have anything on the screen. Wish I had another monitor I could hook it to to see if that is indeed the problem.

Dropmech--Do you think that the image from the camera would show on another screen hooked up via the S-video connector? Maybe you could check since you are the only one with a working unit....lol.

the only s-video plug i found was the one with the power wires connected to it.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Ahh...

There's gotta be a way to wire it to another monitor, though.

OP
OP
dropmech

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't have anything available to me though to test it out. If you want to send me your screen, I can hook it up to mine just to make sure your wiring isn't all messed up. Just because you're getting power to the screen doesn't mean it's the right power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris709