Easy HID retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonese

Reaction score
There is a tutorial originally from other site, and it is for Yukon only, not apply to Tahoe, sorry Chevy!

Everybody knows HID performs the best with HID housing, but taking too much work to retrofit is not worth to me. That's why I have been wandering for years to find an easier solution. Finally, the solution is here, the unloved OE headlights must go.

The solution is nothing more than bolt on, plus some silicon. No baking, no Dremel. Denali headlights and Morimoto Mini H1 are employed, check here for details in ********.com/f63/how-morimoto-mini-h1-denali-retrofit-2606.html *

The adapters that make this easy solution happen are here:
********.com/f21/denali-morimoto-h1-hid-projector-retrofit-adapters-2434.html *

Here are my part list, costs including shipping/tax:
Denali headlights -- $252 from 1AAUTO (Eagle Eyes, 3 year warranty)
Morimoto Mini H1 -- $133 from The Retrofit Source
Adapters -- $42 from Nick ([email protected]), money order
4500 H1 HID kit -- $62 from DDM Tuning (not received yet)

7754119722_8c41e7aa3f.jpg

Although the tutorial is for Mini H1 v4.1, the adapters seem no problem to fit v5.0 (Actually, I can't tell which version I got, TRS says they are v5.0)

7754120092_2b5aed26d2.jpg

All the parts came in within one week, except DDM HID, even they charged the most for shipping and are closest to me.

Since the Mini H1 is bi-xenon, 4 hi is a must have by-product. It will be a true 4 hi, not a 2 hi + 2 lo. There is an easy way to do it for 01 Yukon by grounding the yellow lines of low beams,
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8742

* I know you want to ask what is ********.com, it was blocked by TYF automatically. You have to do this copy and paste work. It's "custom+gm.com" without +.

Last edited:

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im glad to see you stuck with a low kelvin hid kit, why didnt you just get the hids from rfs?

OP
OP
yukonese

yukonese

Reaction score
TRS HID kits are pricy

Im glad to see you stuck with a low kelvin hid kit, why didnt you just get the hids from rfs?

Since 4 hi mod is in my mind, a lower Kelvin HID should match 9005 better. I'm not a fan of high Kelvin anyway.

I think DDM kit are cheaper, with life time warranty. TRS kits are kind of pricy to me.

krt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do the denali head light buckets work in the non-denali yukon?

OP
OP
yukonese

yukonese

Reaction score
3 or 4 Stars for Eagle Eyes

do the denali head light buckets work in the non-denali yukon?

The Denali headlights have the same mounts, were put in within 5 minutes. Could be sooner if you can unplug/plug wire connectors faster.

The retrofit work has not started yet, the first thing is to test fitness of this Eagle Eyes set,

7815816112_1eb3e6d048.jpg

7815816632_c9d157677f.jpg

( I know, the bumper lights appear to be dated, new $25 clear ones are coming)

The light mounts are slightly off from vertical, that's why you can see from the pictures, the gaps between lights and grille bezel are not even. This cannot be adjusted by the bright metal sticks. For retrofitting, I have to re-assemble the mounts anyway. I think this can be taken care during the re-assembling ( Correction, I really need to bake them to disassemble the projectors from the lenses).

The Eagle Eyes material seems satisfied, so far no wiggling observed like some reports against Depo. The light output with regular 9005 is definitely better than my OE reflectors with PIAA 9006. The cut-off plates inside projectors make the focus reach 10 or so feet further without blinding upcoming traffic, a perfect low beam distance to me. However, the light output pattern seems not very even, comparing to my wife's Mazda HID, has room to improve. That's why the retrofit is on the road map. I will give them 3 or 4 stars if I review them in Amazon, because of these uneven gaps. If you just want Denali projectors without retrofit, look for something else.

Here is the direct link for the retrofit tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Mg7QVW4JI&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia