Easy budget friendly intake tube upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i been going back and forth on this for a long time and ive seen the posts about the intake tube + factory airbox being the best setup. I couldnt quite swallow the pill of the airraid tube being the best option at 160 dollars for just a tube. im sure im not the first person to do it but i took pics so i might as well share.

so i started looking at options and ran across this intake on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DMSUM7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i asked on amazon if they knew it would work with the stock airbox and they said it would, so at under 70 dollars i felt like it was cheap enough to try and worst case amazon has a great return policy lol. after all its my wife's daily driver im not really concerned with performance but those super restrictive air tracts drive me nuts.

oXObwhx.jpg

what a stupid thing.

anyway so i did a test fit and the pipe itself looks horrid IMO in the bright aluminum.
HAjfJHd.jpg

to my surprise though, it did fit just fine. the couplers are pretty crappy if i am honest and are just straight silicon with no reinforcement (dont use them for boost!) but they do the job.

i decided to spray it with some plastidip to get it to a color that i felt fit the daily driver nature of the vehicle.

i think it turned out fairly well.

51J0eNk.jpg

no modifications were needed just fitting the pipe. upside is now i have some extra heat shield stock and cone filter leftover from this kit to use on other projects later.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Looks good, pretty much exactly what I did, but I think I'll wrap mine in Header wrap.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any change in performance/mileage? I wouldn't expect much change except for sound, as your removing the sound baffles but keeping the stock airbox.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any change in performance/mileage? I wouldn't expect much change except for sound, as your removing the sound baffles but keeping the stock airbox.

The stock filter box is not a hindrance. The stock filter can flow more CFM than what the motor can suck in even at redline. The only restriction IS the tube because of the sound baffles (AKA "resonators"/"mufflers") and because of the flex coupling. It's not a huge restriction, but it does induce some turbulence which hinders flow. The power lost from the resonators isn't much, but it is some and it's what you gain back when you switch to a smooth tube. Most don't notice anything more than a louder intake growl when the engine is under load. The sound is part of the deal since that's what the resonators were there for in the first place. There's nothing wrong with the filter box itself other than it may not look as cool as one of those "racing edition" cone filters open and exposed to the engine bay (along with it's heat). Go with function over form on this mod and just don't pop the hood of your 5,000+ lb./4-door race truck at your next underground street racing meet.

MrMiller

Reaction score
Just got done spraying mine with textured bed liner. A little hard to see in the pictures.

c310568b612a7ae1397880e05414e94f.jpg

6684917541581fc597c0beadc044c283.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock filter box is not a hindrance. The stock filter can flow more CFM than what the motor can suck in even at redline. The only restriction IS the tube because of the sound baffles (AKA "resonators"/"mufflers") and because of the flex coupling. It's not a huge restriction, but it does induce some turbulence which hinders flow. The power lost from the resonators isn't much, but it is some and it's what you gain back when you switch to a smooth tube. Most don't notice anything more than a louder intake growl when the engine is under load. The sound is part of the deal since that's what the resonators were there for in the first place. There's nothing wrong with the filter box itself other than it may not look as cool as one of those "racing edition" cone filters open and exposed to the engine bay (along with it's heat). Go with function over form on this mod and just don't pop the hood of your 5,000+ lb./4-door race truck at your next underground street racing meet.

Ahh yes, drawing hot air from the engine bay as opposed to the fender well. Those few degrees I think make a bigger difference here in the high desert. I had debated about the Swiss cheese mod to the airbox but ultimately decided against this for that theoretical reason.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh yes, drawing hot air from the engine bay as opposed to the fender well. Those few degrees I think make a bigger difference here in the high desert. I had debated about the Swiss cheese mod to the airbox but ultimately decided against this for that theoretical reason.

It's definitely more than a few degrees and more than a theory.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Honestly, I gained about 1mpg on average under normal driving. If I feel frisky, it also uses fuel much more quickly.

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done spraying mine with textured bed liner. A little hard to see in the pictures.

c310568b612a7ae1397880e05414e94f.jpg

6684917541581fc597c0beadc044c283.jpg

that looks great! that was my second choice for coating it only because i had the dip onhand. i wanted to get it on and going and i had a can of plastidip laying around so i went for it.seeing the bedliner though, im definitely doing that

MrMiller

Reaction score
that looks great! that was my second choice for coating it only because i had the dip onhand. i wanted to get it on and going and i had a can of plastidip laying around so i went for it.seeing the bedliner though, im definitely doing that

I used the Rustoleum brand and it turned out great. I also did my heat shield.

efb79d2d93ea24310b67aa21233089fd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas