Ease of installing captains seats (2nd row)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Briana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Considering purchasing captains seats for '12 Yukon XL SLE. I have non-heated non-powered bench now. Still debating to make life easier getting 2 kids into 3rd row every day.

1) Can we use powered captains chairs? What needs to be done to power them?

2) What carpet or plastic trim pieces do I need to make sure I get?

Thanks! Still debating!

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone may trade you. Where are you located ?

OP
OP
B

Briana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in Nebraska. We are looking at buying some in order to get exactly what we are looking for, and possibly keep the bench just in case. It is black leather in mint condition. Not currently powered, so trying to figure out if we could hook up a powered set. Our front seats are perforated, so hoping to match those.

sennister

Reaction score
Never done the swap but I have read here that it is a direct swap and not a big deal. We have the Captains Seats in the 2nd row of our Denali which is the norm other than the Hybrid, and they have the power fold. While we haven't had the truck very long, our initial intent was that we wanted these seats in the 2nd row so we don't have to bother with folding the seats. I have done the power fold but it is pretty slow. Back flips down then it sits there doing nothing for what seems like 10 seconds then the entire thing flips forward. This isn't something with just ours either. Every 2007-2011 that we looked at were exactly the same. With it forward, there isn't a ton of space to squeeze back there, probably the same with the bench. Granted it is just the kids and they are not big. We ended up ordering the Weather Tech mats for the truck and the 2nd row mat for trucks with Captains Chairs includes a section that runs down the aisle between the seats. To be honest that is how the kids get back there. We don't fold the seats. We only have 2 kids so the 3rd row doesn't get used a lot but when it does that is what they do. There still is the manual levers to fold the seats that way and it is much faster.

My point is that while you could explore the power fold, if it were me, it isn't worth the time or money in adding it. Maybe it would be nice if you had a bench in the 2nd row and were trying to get the kids back there while you had stuff in your hands so only one free hand but I don't see us folding the seats very much with the Captains Chairs.

However this may change. We are considering getting the 2nd row console which is a GM Accessory. The biggest complaint we have in the current configuration is that there isn't anything for cup holders and storage. The bench seat in the Avalanche has cup holders in the middle section. Then with 4 wireless headsets and remote it takes up pretty much the entire front console. While the center console doesn't have that much storage it will at least get the headsets and remote back there where they use it. It also gives them cup holders close to them rather than down on the floor where they can't reach it. It is pretty easy to remove from what I have read so maybe we will take it out when we have the 3rd row in or just deal with folding the seats on the rare chance we need both.

jcgilli

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
re:

You can swap the bench out for captains but adding the power fold option would be nearly impossible. The chairs would need power and have a button just behind the rear door as well as buttons in the upper console. To be honest, you wouldn't need them to power fold. With the captains, your kids can just walk between them to access the 3rd row.

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the swap they have to be from the same size tahoe, yukon, escalade... I swapped mine. The first guy I tried to do the swap with had an XL and mine isn't and the XL second row doesn't fit a non xl. Just a heads up. The frame on the seats are different. Holes don't line up and neither do the frames.

joshcarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the swap they have to be from the same size tahoe, yukon, escalade... I swapped mine. The first guy I tried to do the swap with had an XL and mine isn't and the XL second row doesn't fit a non xl. Just a heads up. The frame on the seats are different. Holes don't line up and neither do the frames.

^^^this is a really good bit of data. we were thinking of doing the same swap; now i have another data point to look for. thanks!

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its an easy swap. Traded my bench for a set of captains and swapped them in a mall parking lot in about 30 minutes. You'll need both captains chairs and the carpet surround.