Difference between 2nd row seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently have a 13 xl with cloth bench second row. Looking to swap to leather captains. Everyone says that it has to be a long wheelbase versus a short wheel base. Does it matter bench versus captains? Also does anyone have what the difference actually is in the mounting between the short and long wheel base versions? Is it a different shape bracket is it different measurements etc?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently have a 13 xl with cloth bench second row. Looking to swap to leather captains. Everyone says that it has to be a long wheelbase versus a short wheel base. Does it matter bench versus captains? Also does anyone have what the difference actually is in the mounting between the short and long wheel base versions? Is it a different shape bracket is it different measurements etc?
Having done the swap from bench to captains myself, as long as you're swapping from XL to XL, it's a direct bolt-in swap for the seats plus you need to swap the carpet sections that surround the 2nd row. That part is also super easy once the seats are out.

The difference between short and long wheelbase seats is in the mounting points.

OP
OP
BrandonW

BrandonW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having done the swap from bench to captains myself, as long as you're swapping from XL to XL, it's a direct bolt-in swap for the seats plus you need to swap the carpet sections that surround the 2nd row. That part is also super easy once the seats are out.

The difference between short and long wheelbase seats is in the mounting points.
Cool was curious what the mounting was, in case somebody claims they are from a XL, I could check. Say 16" l to r 19" frt to back. To confirm before purchasing

OP
OP
BrandonW

BrandonW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Hey there. So I located seats from an 08 Escalade. Long wheel base for my XL. My priorities were leather, ✅. Captains, ✅. Now for the wiring. As long as I can power adjust them great . Any idea if possible or what it would take to get the heat to work on them? Even if I were to it a switch under the seat. Not really interested in swapping door panels, Escalade heat switches were in the dash, etc.. thanks in advance

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there. So I located seats from an 08 Escalade. Long wheel base for my XL. My priorities were leather, ✅. Captains, ✅. Now for the wiring. As long as I can power adjust them great . Any idea if possible or what it would take to get the heat to work on them? Even if I were to it a switch under the seat. Not really interested in swapping door panels, Escalade heat switches were in the dash, etc.. thanks in advance
Are you referring to the switches for the heat in the mid row seats? Because that wouldn’t require swapping any door panels out since all the SUVs with mid row heated seats, factory switches would be mounted in the rear portion of the center console.

OP
OP
BrandonW

BrandonW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you referring to the switches for the heat in the mid row seats? Because that wouldn’t require swapping any door panels out since all the SUVs with mid row heated seats, factory switches would be mounted in the rear portion of the center console.
Both front and rear. Instead of console and door panels

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If you have a 13 YXL without 2nd row heated seats it’s just a matter of adding the rear / center console buttons and harness to power the heaters and electric fold. 07 & 08 had the 2nd row fold buttons in the front roof console by the sunroof buttons, 11-14 had the fold buttons on the C pilar by the 2nd row seat headrest and 09 & 10 had them in both locations.

The buttons for the seat heaters on the Esky front seats in the center console won’t fit the YXL console as the switch pack is a different shape and size to fit anywhere on the Yukon’s center area.

I would say get two complete front doors from a 07-10 Denali and kill two birds with one stone. You’ll eliminate the upcoming failure in the weak 11-14 front door cards and also get leather as well as the seat heating buttons / harnesses you need in the cards. Don’t get the 09+ cards with heating and cooling. They’re specifically for operating a thermal electric device that BOTH heats and cools the seats vs. just a resistance heating pad in the base/back rest.

OP
OP
BrandonW

BrandonW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have a 13 YXL without 2nd row heated seats it’s just a matter of adding the rear / center console buttons and harness to power the heaters and electric fold. 07 & 08 had the 2nd row fold buttons in the front roof console by the sunroof buttons, 11-14 had the fold buttons on the C pilar by the 2nd row seat headrest and 09 & 10 had them in both locations.

The buttons for the seat heaters on the Esky front seats in the center console won’t fit the YXL console as the switch pack is a different shape and size to fit anywhere on the Yukon’s center area.

I would say get two complete front doors from a 07-10 Denali and kill two birds with one stone. You’ll eliminate the upcoming failure in the weak 11-14 front door cards and also get leather as well as the seat heating buttons / harnesses you need in the cards. Don’t get the 09+ cards with heating and cooling. They’re specifically for operating a thermal electric device that BOTH heats and cools the seats vs. just a resistance heating pad in the base/back rest.
If I were to just get the door switches, do they plug into what I currently have inside the door if truck has no heat, but power fronts? Any idea if the plug under the seat will match up, . Will it be there same plug, but missing wires?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
For the front 11-14, door cards it’s just a different switch pack. The switch with a pic of both the back & butt warmer and a pic of just the butt. You would also need the harness from the switch through the door jamb, to the dash and under the seat. I don’t know if running just one or two new wires along the harness is an option either.

Since you’ll be inside the doors, my thinking was to update (back date) to the 07-10 door cards because the only replacement for 11-14 cards is what’s leftover in warehouses. They’re no longer manufactured. When they do fail, there likely won’t be any decent used 07-14 door cards at all.

I sat in back of our Esky last month for a 3 hour trip. The captains chairs are not ergonomic. When reclined you need a pillow behind your back because there’s a huge gap. Now I know why the kids liked the bench seat and compared it to a couch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo