E85 conversion kits???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering if anyone has tried converting there 04 denali to a flex fuel vehicle (e85) with an aftermarket conversion kit...since gas prices are rising rapidly im tryin to find a way to get better gas mileage or pay less for gas...any ideas of suggestions?

chevy_man

Reaction score
I haven't done this, but here's my thoughts on the basics needed to run E85 safely.

First, I'd replace all the rubber fuel lines and make sure the steel ones are very clean. Ethanol is a very efficient cleaner and you'll wash any debris out of the lines into your filter or injectors. The rubber lines you have already will handle the e85, but it's not a great idea to re-use them without at least a thorough bench cleaning.

Second, you need to change the computer programming to allow for more timing and altered fuel tables with the higher octane ethanol provides. I would think this should be as simple as re-flashing the pcm with a flex-fuel tune.

Third, you most likely won't really be saving money. Even though ethanol is cheaper, it has a lower energy content (btu's per gallon) than straight gas. Even though you're filling up for cheaper you're going to see a dive in mileage.

Fourth, you may have to switch injectors. Because of the lower energy content you need more fuel to make the same power.

I'd go to a gm dealer and talk to the parts guy. Ask if he can pull up the fuel system, ignition system, and pcms for a e85 and standard denali (dunno if denali's ever came flex fuel but standard yukons did) and see which part numbers are different and determine what the differences are.

Again, I have not done this and have no desire to based on the loss in mileage along with the pain in the ass for little to no gain on power.

You'd probably be just as well off saving a few cents running e10 or e20 without changing anything. You'll still see a small drop in mileage though.

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
I agree that its not worth investing into. My 2002 Z71 Tahoe is a flex fuel and decided to fill it with e85 once. I had horrible performance and got only 12mpg on the freeway with it due to keeping your foot decently on the accelerator just to keep up with traffic.

If you haven't already purchased a better flowing muffler (stock piping is 3" and flows great so no need to change pipes, just the muffler) and air filter (like a cold air induction). A Black Bear tune would also help you out. You won't see a glorious change in mpg but may get around 3 more mpgs with those mods :)

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ours is flex fuel and it will NEVER see E85 crap in it. we did it in our benz and got shiiiity mileage so you dont save anything. paying less for somethign that is used up alot faster makes no economical sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommy2boys211