Driving with aftermarket wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, today I went and priced wheels and I think I will get some 22s with 305/40 tires. Really debated going with 24s, but couldn't find a topic where anyone said whether or not the ride was uncomfortable with stock suspension/height and if they rubbed bad, so I settled with 22s to be safe.

Now, I have always read that you can't really go fast over speed bumps or drive over divots and little niches in the road. Are aftermarket wheels really that "fragile"?
My city has some roads where every forty feet or so there will be a manhole cover sunk about two inches into the ground. Is ok to hit these things going 40ish or will that damage the wheel? I try to avoid them even with stock wheels, but sometimes forget.

Thanks for any help.

brassknucklemafia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my person opinion it all depends on the profile of your tire. i have 24's on my denali, and drive like i stole it. i had 315/30/24's on but found the tire grabbed the "crown" of the road. so i changed to 305/35/24's tiny bit taller, no more fighting the road and better feel on the bumps in the road. does rub on lock to lock though.

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its all about the profile of the tire, not that they are aftermarket wheels. The sidewall is compressed any time you hit bump. So a expansion joint isnt a big deal, but the edge around the manhole could be. So the smaller the aspect of the tire, the more careful you should drive. Low profiles and wide tires tend to track to the crown of the road like just said.

Post some pics when you get them on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700