Drivetrain swap! 97 - 99

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Shiftx450

Reaction score
It was fine for almost 1k miles.

Was just driving across the interstate going about 75mph. As always. And it just started to have a sudden loss of power.. Pulled over and I heard the noises. Thought it was my fuel pump and a lean ping at first.

Brought it back to nj at my pops and replaced the fuel pump, same issue.

The previous one did the same exact thing on the same stretch of highway. Weird right? Only 11 miles apart. Only last time I felt it and mashed the ad pedal, was screaming somewhere over 4k and watching my speedo drop and bang. Rod came through the motor. Thought I was on fire at first.

Both times it acted the same when driving across the interstate. Only this time I let off immediately.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Ran out of daylight to complete the compression test. 1,3,7,2,4,6 all have 150psi.

5 had 130

Couldn't get to number 8 tonight, will have results after work tomorrow.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
consider your self luck so far then with those numbers. did you see the dizzy when the engine was installed or was it already in place.

OP
OP
S

Shiftx450

Reaction score
Well I still have yet to test no. 8

The distributor I put in myself.

Fairly new one from the other motor, so I reused it.

It's an accel as is the coil.

OP
OP
S

Shiftx450

Reaction score
From my code reader?

I was reading stuff on there browsing around, it said timing advance and was fluctuating between 17 and 25 at idle..

Mean anything?

If not, can you be more specific on how to obtain?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
that is just ignition advance ignore it for now. it is responded to the engine knocking causing the fluctuation. typically it floats around the 16-17° area at idle. look for a setting call cam_retard. it is an gm enhanced perimeter. might find under live data section. see what that says first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shiftx450

Reaction score
Kinda jumping around here, I should've checked that and my no. 8 cylinder first but I drained the oil to check for debris, ran a magnet through and there's lots of steel but its gritty like sand.

Sticking to my magnet
a6edasej.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Kinda thinking I'm ****** here and should just get a new motor.

This steel grit oil had to have done damage in itself, let alone the catastrophic engine failure you hear on the video.

Oil was pennzoil sae30, less than 1k miles and was real dirty. Looked more like 5k oil.

Is it in my best interest just to go get some cheap oil and verify compression in my no. 8 cylinder and check that regard timing figure first?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes and use 5w-30 as gm intended. we can make judgement form there. what the worst that could happen. i certainly don't think it will improve itself. there is obviously damage already done anyways.

OP
OP
S

Shiftx450

Reaction score
Right.

Ok thank you.

Give me a few days and ill get some oil, finish compression test, and attempt to verify the ignition retard as stated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
revrae