Drivetrain swap! 97 - 99

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiftx450

Reaction score
Blew the motor in my 99, grabbed a 97 to pull the drivetrain and swap.

Already the trans and transfer case look a little different..

Can anyone elaborate?

Help explain what I'm in for?

This is as far as I got since yesterday:
vynyzeqa.jpg4abave9u.jpg
zete2u7y.jpg
reragyge.jpgpuqa6aty.jpg

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans could be a one piece case, the flywheel and torque convertor are different ...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
You will likely have a autotrac tcase a a differnt tranny bell housing. Reuse everything from the flexplate with starter teath on it back if all still good. Just switch out the long block and all should be fine. Will that suffice?

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Oh likely need to swap oil pressure switch too as well.

OP
OP
S

Shiftx450

Reaction score
The red 2dr 97 has the good drivetrain.

My intent is to install the engine, trans. And possibly the transfer case all into my 99 black 4dr.

The black one blew a rod and the trans was starting to have real delayed shifts and stuff. Just acted funny.

The red one has a fresher motor, and built trans and transfer case which is why I want to use them as well. The motor is so quiet no ticks or knock.. Doesn't leak a drop or smoke.

So far the measurements are slightly different in length of the trans and transfer case.

Just looking for some input of anyone who's experienced such a similar swap.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If you had auto 4wd in the 99 the 97 tcas will not just drop in you are looking at major work on that alone. The tranny should bolt but improvements on it made since 97 that would not be there now may require some pcm tranny perimeters tweaking.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Cant believe you tore up a 2dr. ThAts f'ed up.

OP
OP
S

Shiftx450

Reaction score
If you had auto 4wd in the 99 the 97 tcas will not just drop in you are looking at major work on that alone. The tranny should bolt but improvements on it made since 97 that would not be there now may require some pcm tranny perimeters tweaking.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Cant believe you tore up a 2dr. ThAts f'ed up.

The 2dr is beat. I always did want a 2dr, but this thing was a plow truck and it was substantial rust underneath. Interior is almost completely gutted, body has dents here and there. It was like this when I got it. If it wasn't so beat I would've kept it alone.

Can't I use the ecm from the 97?

And again, the motor, trans, and tcase are staying together from the 97 and going into the 99.

OP
OP
S

Shiftx450

Reaction score
Anybody?

Here's some updated shots 3y8e7y7e.jpgyhada9y2.jpg

Here's the trans and transfer case from the 97, can anybody help me identify what kind? And what I'm in for if I try and use them in the 99? 7uqa4uve.jpgsu7ena9e.jpg

Hers the 4l60e from my 99, it has real delayed shifts. Tells me it's on it's way out? Also the torque converter had no fluid in it and sounds like something is loose inside it. Is that correct? qerahu8y.jpgsanuhava.jpg

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
technically yes but wiring changes will need to be made. and if the 99 had the auto4wd tcase your are looking at major electrical work to make that happens. some on the tranny, some on the engine and lots on the tcase system.

legally it may not be allowed to backtrack the classification engine and emmisions system in your location.

can you at least keep the tcase if auto4wd and just move the tranny/engine block that way there is a minimal of rework involved if hardly any and the pcm would not have so much rework either.

btw you have not actually specified what tcases were in yours and the donor truck. it would help.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are both 4L60E transmissions, you can see where it says that on the second one half way down the housing. The first one is a singe piece or one piece case as they call it, the second one shown is a removeable bell housing. That probably has a 300mm input shaft and convertor, that is the more desirable piece but if that's the one slipping no matter.

I don't know about later model transfer cases to go and open my mouth here, someone else can help you there.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

After thought: there were changes with the cooling lines around the same time as when the one piece case gave way to the newer "LS" style. When you look at those two cooling line hookups on the tranny they are in different positions, I bet the line feeding and returning is a different thread ... carry on. :D

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
there are round id tags on the tcase bodies that identify them. the tranny ones should usually be stamped on the case just above the oil pan.