Driveshaft vibration video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you hit the rear flat spots of the driveshaft with a dead blow hammer it will relieve the tension on the joint. U will feel it free up. Also, make sure you use new joint straps and torque bolts to spec..

You can do the same for the front yoke if the joint is stiff as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
I tried to tap the spot you are talking about with a small hammer, but was scared to tweek the driveshaft. I think the retaining clips are too thick on that Spicer ujoint. Can I just remove the clips and sand them down a little to relive the tight binding? I guess I should try before getting a new one wouldn't hurt. The front ujoint on the slip yoke feels ok. I went to Napa and got new bolts because one of the bolts got rounded by who ever put those u joints in before and the Napa guy hands me a box with new bolts and straps, so I used the new straps.....

Last edited:

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to tap the spot you are talking about with a small hammer, but was scared to tweek the driveshaft. I think the retaining clips are too thick on that Spicer ujoint. Can I just remove the clips and sand them down a little to relive the tight binding? I guess I should try before getting a new one wouldn't hurt. The front ujoint on the slip yoke feels ok. I went to Napa and got new bolts because one of the bolts got rounded by who ever put those u joints in before and the Napa guy hands me a box with new bolts and straps, so I used the new straps.....
I used a dead blow hammer on mine and it didn't tweak it. It takes a certain amount of force to move that joint. I'm not gonna tell u to do it, but I filed down my clips in my yoke because they were too tight. I would make sure the clips are the problem and not just tension on the joint needs to be relieved. I have a hybrid ujoint due to my 4l80 trans with a 1350 yoke that uses the same clips. I tried different sizes and everything. Only fix was to sand them down slightly. Been running like this for about a year.

The torque specs are not that high for the straps so I wouldn't be surprised if they were on too tight if the bolt was rounded. I would not reuse them if you take them or the bolts off..they are stretch fit.
779a652f640f24b44ff302527682eb55.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a torque wrench, I know I need to get one, but I torqued them down tight....maybe I should back off a little. The damn bolts that cam with the straps Are about 1/4 inch longer than what was on there before and had to really crank down on the bolts to get it tight....i need maybe to put a washer to take the space up....i should go back to Napa and tell them the bolts are too long. But thanks, good info, because I probably might have over tightened....its the first time doing this for me....infact my driveway has a very small incline, before my wife left for work I told her to step on the e brake...when I dropped the driveshaft the Tahoe started rolling and had to grab the rear swaybar to hold it. Luckily a neighbor's friend pulled up and I called him over to step on the e brake....kinda scary....

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a dead blow hammer on mine and it didn't tweak it. It takes a certain amount of force to move that joint. I'm not gonna tell u to do it, but I filed down my clips in my yoke because they were too tight. I would make sure the clips are the problem and not just tension on the joint needs to be relieved. I have a hybrid ujoint due to my 4l80 trans with a 1350 yoke that uses the same clips. I tried different sizes and everything. Only fix was to sand them down slightly. Been running like this for about a year.

The torque specs are not that high for the straps so I wouldn't be surprised if they were on too tight if the bolt was rounded. I would not reuse them if you take them or the bolts off..they are stretch fit.
779a652f640f24b44ff302527682eb55.jpg

That looks so clean and a precision set up...btw, can I remove the clips on the vehicle to sand them down?

Last edited:

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks so clean and a precision set up...btw, can I remove the clips on the vehicle to sand them down?
It would be a lot harder determine if the yoke was free or bound up with the driveshaft installed. I used a press to move the yoke from side to side and carefully sanded down both clips to equally free up the space needed. I've taken my truck on road trips and upwards of 130mph so I didn't take this mod lightly. If you don't feel comfortable doing it take it to a driveshaft shop and let them do the install.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be a lot harder determine if the yoke was free or bound up with the driveshaft installed. I used a press to move the yoke from side to side and carefully sanded down both clips to equally free up the space needed. I've taken my truck on road trips and upwards of 130mph so I didn't take this mod lightly. If you don't feel comfortable doing it take it to a driveshaft shop and let them do the install.

I guess I'll drop the driveline again. If I have to buy a new ujoint, do I have to match the u joint on the slip yoke side? The ones I have now are Spicer with the zerk fitting.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll drop the driveline again. If I have to buy a new ujoint, do I have to match the u joint on the slip yoke side? The ones I have now are Spicer with the zerk fitting.
U shouldn't have to buy a new joint. U just need to figure out why it's binding. You can buy just the clips because they have a fatigue point where they should be replaced if you flex them too much. Mine are different because of my drivetrain change. Your clips should be the same on both sides unless you factory joint is a hybrid joint. A couple of heavy taps on the yoke and flat spots on driveshaft may free up the joint and you are good. No need to mess with the clips.

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to my father in laws auto repair shop and took the drive shaft out. Showed how binded and tight the rear u joint was. He told me to rest the u joint on the clamp and tap the bottom of the ears and it was a smooth rotation. Put the clips back on which looked like they were wedged to one side in the grooved when I took them out, and then installed driveshaft back on...45 min job because I took my time.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to my father in laws auto repair shop and took the drive shaft out. Showed how binded and tight the rear u joint was. He told me to rest the u joint on the clamp and tap the bottom of the ears and it was a smooth rotation. Put the clips back on which looked like they were wedged to one side in the grooved when I took them out, and then installed driveshaft back on...45 min job because I took my time.
Yessir! That's what I meant. Glad to see it worked out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse