Driver side front clunk clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been in the forum guys, but have a lingering issue with my 96 2dr. tahoe. If you recall I replaced the shocks, and sway bar links after noticing a clunk in the front end near the driver side. The links needed replacing anyway as one was broke off.

Today my business partner's shop mechanic and I replaced the pitman arm and idler arm WE had it up on the neighbor's hoist a month ago and discovered that both had quite a bit of play and needed to be replaced. Thought that would also cure the clunk.

Well nope it didn't. Still have a clunking noise. It sounds like the driver side up front. I've checked all body parts, mud flaps. The mechanic spun all around the front end on his creeper, and we can't figure it out. I put brand new Bilstein HDs, on it around Thanksgiving. I am suspicious of the new shock up front (driver side).

Also, the steering wheel is not centered since we put the new pitman and idler arms on this morning. Bout a 1/4 plus turn to the right is necessary to keep the truck straight and true. Don't think I need to pull the pitman or idler to fix that though do i?

Please advise.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
You at least need an alignment. 1/4 turn? WOW! check for worn ball joints. Severely cracked bushings or broken supports at the back of torsion bars.

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need an alignment first off.

Adding to what Sunlit said, how do your CV boots look? If ones torn, could maybe be a bad cv shaft. Wheel bearings good? If you shake the tire up and down, can you feel any play?

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, when we had the Tahoe on the lift, we checked out both ends of the torsion bars (anchors and bushings); checked ball joints and tie rod ends. While cycling the steering linkage back and forth we discovered that both the pitman arm and the idler arms were quite worn. Sloppy. Prior to doing the work the steering wheel was plumb level and square. I don't understand why it is off now as the pitman and idler arms were keyed as is the input shaft on the steering box. Finally, that ******* clunk is still happening. When that left tire hits a bump in the road or similar, it's clunk clunk. WTF!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if it is while hitting bumps you gotta have a mount loose somewhere. how about the bushings inboard of the sway link end. I don't think it is possible something is wrong with the steering box that can cause that severe of a problem without a complete failure.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

how about checking the steering movement with weight on wheels?

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the front sway bar linkage also check that rubber donut that connects the steering
shaft to the gear box if it's soft this causes play also. it will take a while to change it.

OP
OP
V

vtx1800sba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning guys, thanks for all the feedback. Here's an update. Was able to square away the steering wheel in our shop no problem. CV boots in good shape; no tears no leaks; brake calipers tight; lug nuts torqured; joint between the steering shaft and steering box (wrag joint?) tight and in good condition. I replaced the sway bar links over a month ago. They are tight. Have not checked the bushings inboard of the sway bar links yet.

One thing I did notice is when I grabbed a hold of the steering shaft halfway between the wrag joint and firewall, I could move it around and make it clunk. Is there supposed to be some play there? I know the shaft is collapsable.

Dammit guys this is ******* driving me nuts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilbert two