Driveline Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latapx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I've had my '15 Suburban LT now for almost a year...purchased CPO with 36K miles and I currently have 59K on the clock. It has an extended warranty so what I'm about to explain should be covered, but wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue as it doesn't seem to fit in with the "buffeting" issues others are having. I've replaced the original 275/55-20 Continentals with Goodyear SR-A which improved the ride, replaced the OE shocks with Bilstein 5100s which improved the ride and replaced the oe pads with Hawk HPS and new rotors so the brick actually stops. So here is the issue...

Under acceleration, going through 63-67MPH i experience a vibration. Only under acceleration, and the harder you accelerate, the worse it is. You can sit with the cruise control on all day at 65MPH and she'll ride steady (rules out tire balance and driveshaft balance). Its not engine, as you can be in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. and you'll get the vibration at that speed, not specific engine RPM. Leads me to believe that it may be transmission output shaft (maybe a bearing going bad that is exacerbated under load?) or driveshaft bearing (if its 2 piece...haven't looked under the car).

At this point, I have an airbag recall that I need to take the car in for as well as the rear differential is leaking out of the front seal...now add this.

Has anyone else had a similar issue????

_Dawn_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked the struts and shocks? I am not an expert, but sometimes they can cause a truck to vibrate (especially under acceleration).

When you are accelerating up to the point when you turn on the cruise control, does it vibrate right until the cruise engages and stabilizes the speed? Is there a delay between when the speed stops accelerating and the vibration stops? Will it start vibrating again if you push the cruise to increase speed one time by the pre-set couple of mph?

Do you feel the vibration more in the steering wheel or under your seat?

OP
OP
L

latapx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It did it with the OE Shocks, and continues to do it with the Bilsteins that are in it now. Light acceleration will not cause the vibration. You can increase speed from 60 to 70 in 6th gear without issue...give it more gas, and as you repeat the increase in speed in 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd it gets worse with more load. It is from the chassis, not the steering wheel.

My guess would be a bad bearing on the output shaft of the transmission, or on the driveshaft (if its 2 piece). If it was wheel balance, it'd vibrate at a certain speed no matter load...similar situation for the drive shaft if it wasn't balanced properly. Another possibility would be a bad or worn thrust washer/bearing in the transmission or rear end which causes a misalignment of the gears under higher loads. I just can't believe no one else has had a similar issue. Granted, its a 2015 with 59k miles...but someone needs to have heard of something similar...

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had my '15 Suburban LT now for almost a year...purchased CPO with 36K miles and I currently have 59K on the clock. It has an extended warranty so what I'm about to explain should be covered, but wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue as it doesn't seem to fit in with the "buffeting" issues others are having. I've replaced the original 275/55-20 Continentals with Goodyear SR-A which improved the ride, replaced the OE shocks with Bilstein 5100s which improved the ride and replaced the oe pads with Hawk HPS and new rotors so the brick actually stops. So here is the issue...

Under acceleration, going through 63-67MPH i experience a vibration. Only under acceleration, and the harder you accelerate, the worse it is. You can sit with the cruise control on all day at 65MPH and she'll ride steady (rules out tire balance and driveshaft balance). Its not engine, as you can be in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. and you'll get the vibration at that speed, not specific engine RPM. Leads me to believe that it may be transmission output shaft (maybe a bearing going bad that is exacerbated under load?) or driveshaft bearing (if its 2 piece...haven't looked under the car).

At this point, I have an airbag recall that I need to take the car in for as well as the rear differential is leaking out of the front seal...now add this.

Has anyone else had a similar issue????

Hello latapx,

We sincerely apologize for the unexpected concerns you’ve experienced with your Suburban. We recognize your frustrations regarding this situation and certainly do not want this to be your lasting impression of our brand. If you would like, we would be happy to contact your dealer on your behalf and provide an additional layer of support on our end. Please send a private message along with your full contact information, VIN, and preferred dealership if this is something of interest to you.

Kindly,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

OP
OP
L

latapx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello latapx,

We sincerely apologize for the unexpected concerns you’ve experienced with your Suburban. We recognize your frustrations regarding this situation and certainly do not want this to be your lasting impression of our brand. If you would like, we would be happy to contact your dealer on your behalf and provide an additional layer of support on our end. Please send a private message along with your full contact information, VIN, and preferred dealership if this is something of interest to you.

Kindly,

Anthony

GM Customer Care

I started a conversation with GM Customer Care and never got a reply...conversation pasted below.

VIN - DELETED
Daniel Menendez
DELETED
DELETED
Miami, FL 33145

My vehicle was purchased as CPO from Phil Smith Chevrolet (1640 N SR7, Lauderhill, FL 33313)on March 6th, 2016. The vehicle was given to me with various issues which I have had to resolve on my own time at a different dealer because I live over an hour away from where I purchased the vehicle. A CPO vehicle should have never been sold with any issues...its the point of CPO. You pay a premium for a vehicle that has been conditioned and "restored". Some of these issues were:

Vehicle only had one key (i paid for a second key out of pocket)
AC and radio buttons would stick and some not function (AutoNation Chevrolet in Doral has performed all work on the car) - the dealer replaced the AC controls under warranty, but claimed the radio controls were not covered. I purchased the car with a bumper to bumper extended warranty...don't understand this one.
Front end clunk - spring isolators replaced
Driver side floor mat retaining clips missing...the carpet is ripped and the clip that holds the floor mat is not there (not covered)
Second row bench seat rattle (repaired at AutoNation Chevrolet under warranty)
Black appliques on rear doors were coming off (repaired at AutoNation Chevrolet even though "not covered")

At this time the vehicle has a rough idle (whenever it wants...not constant)
It has an airbag recall
It has a leak from the rear differential (from the front of the differential, not the rear service cover)
It has the driveline vibration that I mentioned in the post in the forum (it has always had this vibration, but was more noticeable on a recent road trip in the mountains as more load was applied through the drivetrain going up inclines that typically aren't experienced in S. Fl. I honestly thought I was going to lose the driveshaft from how bad it was at times.)
Drivers seat moves around under braking, turning, etc.
Squeal from the brake pedal/booster under heavy braking (I had taken the car in for this before but the issue could not be replicated)

I don't mind having the dealer look at the car...I just don't want it sitting there until someone has time to check it or waiting for parts. I'll be more than happy to drive the car with the technicians so that they can experience the issues...I have found this to be most effective when trying to replicate sporadic problems.

I've been "dealing" with these issues because I didn't buy the car new...then again, it was CPO so the car shouldn't have issues to begin with. I work, I have kids and I drive A LOT. I understand everyone's time is valuable and don't want to waste anyones time.

Not sure what you'll be able to do...but I think I've included everything! lol

Thank you,

Danny Menendez

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would call GM no customer service and get a case started. All the items you initially talked about are covered by the CPO coverage. Two key fobs, torn carpet, radio controls, AC controls, black appliques should have all been taken care of as part of the CPO program. Do a Goggle search for GM certified vehicles and see what is done by the Dealer to certify the vehicle,(180 items I think),which includes a Dealer check off list which I believe is submitted to GM to certify a GM vehicle in their system and a customer copy given to you and the extended warranty which should be 12 months 12,000 miles and I believe plus free oil changes and tire rotations . Make a copy of the CPO paperwork check off sheet and get all your receipts for all work and all money spent. Submit CPO check off sheet and all receipts for money paid out of pocket to GM customer service and have them reimburse you. Then have GM authorize repair for what needs to be fixed. Be firm and stand your ground. Good luck.