Drive line CLUNK and FIX!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how people/poor mechanics can chase this issue all over, GM has known about it for a long time.. Good post though! :)

Woodse

Reaction score
I used the grease and it kept coming back, then knocked the corners off of the yoke splines with a chainsaw chain file. Not as bad but still will try the special GM grease or plated yoke.

YAMBAG

Reaction score
I just did this, after a bit of a problem, I'm all done and the nickel slip yoke works great. You don't want to keep greasing your yoke, the grease will degrade your fluid over time plus its a PITA to keep doing it. I ordered the wrong one from gm parts direct, the one that ends with 702 I believe, is for a ext cab 4 WD, they wouldn't take it back so now I have a 200 dollar paperweight until I find someone who could use it. The shipping also was expensive and took forever. I ordered the correct one for our trucks from drive train America.com, the part # is 40032054. I just installed it and it fits great and they were very quick with the shipping, only cost 115 bucks as well. Highly recommend them. First time I ever changed a u joint and it went really well. If you are on the fence, DO IT! It really is worth it.

Would that part fit a 98 2 door tahoe with a 5.7L and a floor mounted 4x4 shifter? I get that clunk and it bothers me

YAMBAG

Reaction score
yes and make sure you use the blue fluid in the tcase.

You said in an earlier post that on those owners who have the auto 4wd should use the blue fluid. I have the manual floor shifter and you suggested I use the blue fluid. Which is it now????

Sent from my piece of crap iPhone using Tapatalk

apb2148

Reaction score
Help!

Guys

I have a 2007 Tukon, 4wd. Has a 123k miles. I am having the clunk with starting off. It used to just happen when I was turning, but now it is doing it while I am going straight as well. I have had my tranny service and it has no codes. My rear diff has been service and the spider gears have been checked, with nothing found. Should I check the slip yoke now?

Thanks
Drew

Woodse

Reaction score
Definitely replace with a nickel plated unit.my problem is find ing the correct replacement.gmpartsdirect sent me the wrong part. Gm says use 12477704.I am trying to find some one here to corroborate the part number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645