Double din instAll ??!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fleetgeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Denali with Bose sound system I want to install a double din tv radio

I already have the radio cage and double din bezel and everything

I just need to know what I have to do in order to get the double din to work with my factory Bose sound system

Last edited:

Archer04

Reaction score
You will need to get the adapters to connect to the factory wiring and then to the radio. I have a list of parts for my 04 tahoe as it is on my to do list. I will list my parts below look at them and see if they will work for you or maybe you will need a slightly different part.

Aswc-1 for steering wheel controls
Sxb300v1 for sirius/xm
Metra gmos for retaining monster and chimes for key in ignition door open and such.
Let me know if this helps.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Proper metra kit and steering wheel adapter .
Easy to wire up, just a ton of extra wires to tuck behind in a spot that's already super tight

OP
OP
Fleetgeo

Fleetgeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there is some wiring involved not just a plug and play type connector

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there is some wiring involved not just a plug and play type connector

Well, yes because every OEM stereo is different. I know with Crutchfield (and I assume with other aftermarket kits) you'll get two sets of wires: One of them will have a plastic connector that goes into your stereo and the other end is all color coded wires. The other one has a plastic connector that goes to your factory wiring harness or plug and, again, has color coded wires on the other end. "Wiring" simply matching the same color wires on both harnesses. Once you've done this, just plug it in and install the head unit.

BTW when I installed mine I did have to take a Sawzall and cut some material out from behind the head unit. Apparently my aftermarket unit was deeper than the factory unit. Altogether my install took maybe half an hour and I work pretty slow. If you're not sure, I'd recommend going with Crutchfield for two reasons: One, because they will sell you a package that includes ALL the neccessary hardware to install, and two because they have outstanding customer service. If you run into a problem, you can call them up, even as late as 7:00 in the evening, and they will walk you through the install process.

I've put in 3 systems I bought through Crutchfield and they all worked great.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
They have pnp for non nose set ups and basic stereos.

But mine is nose and I needed the adapters so I had to wore everything. Here's my messe193fe9c9a7b790b9fb9cfd8996883a9.jpg19e08c4dea990c6ae34785e119426a34.jpg

I did shave the small plastic piece on the inside.
00-02 have a larger metal piece that has to be cut off for double dins.
I can't wait to get either an app radio or a ipad installed

sent from the last frontier

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming "Nose" is "Bose" that got auto-corrected. ;)

FWIW mine had the Bose system too. Yes, the metal piece hanging down is the one that has to be removed to fit a Double DIN unit.

I have no idea what those two funky green wires are for. Maybe someone added something in? That doesn't look factory to me.

Pretty sure mine only had one factory connector, though it may have had two (one for the steering wheel controls.)

Again, I can't recommend Crutchfield highly enough. They will walk you through the process.

And yes, it's awesome having iPod/iPhone controls and Bluetooth. ;) Also you can get a unit that will let you reprogram the steering wheel controls to whatever you want. That means you can use the now-useless OnStar button for something different like activating your Bluetooth phone.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
01 doesn't have an Onstar steering wheel button so the PAC SW1 will just program the buttons normally. Don't worry about getting the harness to retain Onstar since yours is outdated and doesn't work anyway. You can connect the wiring harnesses together on a bench and then plug them in to the radio after.

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to do lots of cutting to fit my dd hu along with a bunch of other wires to fit, hardest part was removing the metal bracket, my Tahoe is an '01 not sure if your '01 Denali has that same bracket...you can see the before and after pics. I also bypassed the factory amp and ran all new wires for everything

A144.jpg

A165.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to do lots of cutting to fit my dd hu along with a bunch of other wires to fit, hardest part was removing the metal bracket, my Tahoe is an '01 not sure if your '01 Denali has that same bracket...you can see the before and after pics. I also bypassed the factory amp and ran all new wires for everything

View attachment 76175

View attachment 76176
I had to do the same in my '02 Denali as far as removing the bracket and plastic but it's not too hard to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645