Double DIN install - easy way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the unit open up alright when wanting to watch DVDs or listen to CDs? Looks like it'd be blocked from sitting directly on the hvac controls. Overall looks good :waytogo: I would have made a filler plate for the open spot below too :)

OP
OP
bredstein

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does the unit open up alright when wanting to watch DVDs or listen to CDs? Looks like it'd be blocked from sitting directly on the hvac controls.
The unit doesn't open up, it just has a screen, it doesn't go anywhere when I insert a DVD or usb memory with videos.

I would have made a filler plate for the open spot below too :)
Why waste space? A cubby seems to be much more useful than a filler! On the other hand, a plate can be used for some extra switches - although I cannot think of ant that I really need right now :)

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good man. I did the same thing in my '95 and it fit as snug as a bug.

g7.jpg

g8.jpg

Until someone stole it...

g9.jpg

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the main reason I get the best the factory has to offer. Who want a lame factory stereo anyhow?

Sorry for your loss, it really does suck.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The unit doesn't open up, it just has a screen, it doesn't go anywhere when I insert a DVD or usb memory with videos.

Why waste space? A cubby seems to be much more useful than a filler! On the other hand, a plate can be used for some extra switches - although I cannot think of ant that I really need right now :)

Oh I gotcha. I was thinking about the Pioneer Double din for some reason :) nice job doing this on your own on the cheap :) it's nice to see people thinking outside the box :)

OP
OP
bredstein

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Until someone stole it...
Sad, very sad... I had a GPS stolen a few years ago back in Texas, the car was not locked, so I saved the window at least :) Did you have a chance to find the bastard and rip his heart out (just like he did with you radio)?

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad, very sad... I had a GPS stolen a few years ago back in Texas, the car was not locked, so I saved the window at least :) Did you have a chance to find the bastard and rip his heart out (just like he did with you radio)?

haha, naw. they hit like 8 cars on my black that night including a police officer. crazy. they used gloves and unscrewed my house lights and everything. professional crooks. main reason i moved into a 3 car garage after that. i ended up buying the same XAV-60 that was stolen again.

autolover3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Now I def want a DD, curious if I already have a Pioneer head unit, do i need to purchase and extra accessories such as harnesses and what not? And brackets, how exactly does it fit into the dash?

Thanks!

OP
OP
bredstein

bredstein

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
curious if I already have a Pioneer head unit, do i need to purchase and extra accessories such as harnesses and what not? And brackets, how exactly does it fit into the dash?!

I bought mine from Crutchfield, and although they do not recommend any DD unit for OBS trucks, you still can specify your year, so they include a correct harness and antenna adapter - both are a direct fit for your factory harness, so all you need to do is solder the matching wires together. Shouldn't be too difficult if you are not color blind :) Also, I did not use any brackets, just pushed the unit all the way in until it aligned with the AC controls. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gradymossx4

Latest posts