Dorman stamped AAM DS slip yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will be both a life ramble and a question, let me start by saying I've been gone for the past year or so due to the fact the fat lady has been down for said amount, and I had lost all the will power to wrench on it. So fast forward 1 year and a half and I decided to slowly get back to her"2021." Shes been sitting in the driveway unmolested,dirty,unattended and abandoned all that time. Left it with barely any gas if any, literally about to be stranded gas. The main reason I abandoned it was that I was dealing with work/health at the time, and all of a sudden I started noticing a rumble like those rumble strips in the side of the road, cyclic in nature, I can't recall the speed range exactly 65+ and you would notice the vroom vroom vroom noise, and didnt seem to get worse and it just felt like those strips in the side of the road. Thought of it being a bad converter unlocking locking etc.. or a bad rear end pinion bearing, but it doesn't leak at all and there is no play. Fast forward a year and a half later, and I said F*** it, I will go manual. Thought about the nv4500 but the gearing turned me down, settled for the weaker 3500 which should be fine as it will only be a DD and the gearing is better for a daily and seems to shift nicer than the 4500 "going by forum research" dont quote me on that, as I haven't finished it yet, and yes these trucks are heavy but the thought of muscling a 200+ pound 4500 didn't seem pleasing to me at the time the 3500 is about 115 dry, and I found a unit from an 06 truck "last years for manuals" that had a pole fall on it with 70,000 and it was 4wd, which is hard to come by. I'm also going manual np241c Tcase which I just finished putting back together. Installed the clutch pedal, master cylinder, cut the hole and installed the clutch last night under the rain in the drive way, so my will is back! Thats where I'm at for that, need to muscle the trans from my back yard to the front and install it with the tcase fill it up and bolt the drive shafts back and it should be done, as I had the pcm flashed for a manual before hand so I dont have to deal with the neutral switch wiring outside of the reverse lights, and clutch switch which will be sorted out with time. Now with that out of the way to my actual question, sorry for the massive letter. I bought a "dorman" slip yoke for my drive shaft about 3 years ago from amazon I think, and I never got to install it, I only put a new spicer sealed OEM join on it and left it covered. Fast forward today and thought about doing the drive line ujoints in my old DS as its out atm, and I thought about ordering a new slip yoke from AAM which is the OEM manufacturer, and to my surprised upon further inspection of my "dorman" slip yoke its stamped and marked with AAM lettering just like the factory rusty one in my drive shaft. Now my question is the following, is dorman just using an AAM mold stolen from whatever or are they reselling AAM slip yokes, as comparing some on ebay they look exactly like my dorman one. Any ideas and thank you for getting to the bottom, appreciate your time. If anybody wants pics let me know.

20210421_131018.jpg

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably due to the OEM manufacturer able to supply that specific part at a price point Dorman is not willing or able to pass up. These days the color of the box is only there for brand recognition and has no direct effect on the manufacturer of the product inside. Tools for example is a very common for several high profile brands to just slap there box or label on a product made by one specific manufacturer. Hope that answers your question. I dont know who AAM is, but they are probably supplying that part for Dorman.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
You’d have to be a serious investigator to find out if Dorman is reselling genuine AAM parts, buying factory seconds, or just selling Chinese fakes. The most direct route would be to inquire directly from them, although I’d not be optimistic about receiving a meaningful answer.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’d have to be a serious investigator to find out if Dorman is reselling genuine AAM parts, buying factory seconds, or just selling Chinese fakes. The most direct route would be to inquire directly from them, although I’d not be optimistic about receiving a meaningful answer.

Reboxing is common practice. All the parts houses are basically sticking the same brands under a diff label in their own boxes. There is a difference between the lines they box from each manufacturer but for the most part it's happening all the time. Go to AZ and don't be surprised if you pull out an OEM sensor inside a duralast box. Starters and alternators all coming from Delco Remy under diff labels. So your Dorman scenario is just one case where that's exactly what they did.

OP
OP
Erickk120

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen reboxing done in ring and pinion sets, you buy X gear set name and then you buy X gear set, turns out they both came out of the same factory just different box brand. I didn't think it was that common in other parts out side of ring and pinions but the more you know.20210421_131049.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse